Keeping Your Card Details on File

pudds

When ordering some home heating oil yesterday I told them you probably have my card details on file, and was told that "were not allowed to do that anymore, all information must be scrapped after each usage"

I could never understand why this was permissible in the first place and wonder how compliant companies will be going forward.

I'm not aware of any regulation that says they can't - in fact, it strikes me as hugely stupid practice to scrap details immediately in case of problems later.

Now, if they have a policy individually of not using stored information but taking new information each time, that's different.

I made a general enquiry to the AA about car insurance years ago. Every year since, I get 3 letters from them offering me car insurance. Very annoying. Even when I send them back "not known at this address" they still keep coming. A waste of money on paper and postage because their rates are almost twice what I am paying with my own insurer.

Amazon UK certainly still keeps card details on file.
I have to be very careful my finger doesn't hit the "Buy with one click" button.

Turn off 1 click ordering.

The AA are absolute buggers for sending out junk mail. I don't know the profile of buyers of AA insurance but they must have money to burn.

The likes of Amazon will have several layers of security in place, eg encryption to protect customer financial details, in addition to the log in details required for a customer to make a purchase. My guess is that an oil supplier wouldn't have the technology in place to protect customer data in accordance with data protection laws.

A lot of software companies like Norton automatically renew your subscription each year, so they must keep your details.

Hi there, I work for the AA and I happen to have read this thread. Please call our Customer Care team on 0845 608 2818, option1 so we can remove your details from our mailing list.

One of the banks sold my debt onto a debt collection company who insisted they keep my details on file so they could swipe my card each week. Apparently they felt is was less costly than me having to ring them up each week;)

Back