Keeping clothes smelling ok in attic

remey

Hi,

My folks are clearing out their attic. There was old baby clothes, communion outfits etc etc. They are all hanging out on the line now and nice & fresh. However, they will need to put them back up there along with their winter clothes etc. They usually pack them in suitcases or in those suction bags but they will be very musty again in no time.
Any ideas of how they can still store the old clothes that they dont want to part with in the attic. I was thinking of those Bounce fragranced sheets or something similar but I reckon you'd need to putting one between each layer of clothes, not so practical.

Any suggestions? (apart from throwing the stuff out which is the obvious one:D as thats just not going to happen).

Thanks

Hi there - couple of suggestions - put a few sprigs of lavender or cloves into each bag or i would imagine that only one or at most two bounce sheets per bag / suitcase would be enough (top and bottom) if they are sealed . If the clothes are hanging on a rail , my mother used to get a small orange and pierce it all over with loads of cloves and hang it on a ribbon among the clothes. If you are concerned about the chance of marks/ stains from the lavender / cloves you can just put it in a fine cotton bag.

might give some advice.

I only use thick plastic bags like refuse ones but would always wash anything before using it again.

If they're not going to use them again and they're only keeping them for sentimental reasons does it really matter if they smell musty. Have always heard that things like wedding dresses and the communion dresses should be stored in tissue paper

Back