Keeping at least one bank branch in a major town

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I was surprised to see a few towns where the last bank left in the town is closing down. I would have thought that they were large enough to justify at least one bank branch.

But maybe if BoI is closing down a branch in a town, the local Chamber of Commerce should encourage all its members and the public to move their accounts to AIB so that the AIB branch remains viable and busy.

If the BoI customers stay with BoI and just conduct their business in the next town, then the AIB branch will eventually close.

Brendan

Michael Healy-Ray got there before me.

On the same programme Kerry TD Michael Healy-Rae, who runs a post office, said the bank’s decision was “terrifying” and the post office network was already in crisis. He said he was on his knees, urging people to support local businesses, shops, bank branches and post offices.

“If it’s not being used it will be shut down,” he warned. “If we want to keep jobs locally, the only way we can do that is to support local, that will help sustain a vital part of the economy.”

What if the banks in smaller towns shared facilities? Maybe if 2 or 3 banks shared the one building/hub with 1 or 2 staff for each bank plus whatever ATM's or lodgement machines needed.
It works for car-hire companies in airports. All of the operators often share one office and facilities, with a desk/area for each operator.

There is a BoI branch across the square from me in Sandyford. Beside lodging the odd cheque, I never go into it and when I do, it's to use the machine. The bank were correct in saying that most people use online banking now and paying for staff and maintaining a building isn't viable given the small number of people who need to use a branch.

Back