Keep animals + kids off my front garden?

livEwirE

Hi all,

I live in a townhouse with just a small patch of garden at the front of it. My wife and I are not really into gardening so we dug out the grass and shrubbs and have laid a couple of plants with decorative stones to make it all look neat. The problem is dogs and cats and small kids tend to walk onto the stones a lot. I need something to stop this please.

I know there are products you can use to stop the dogs and cats but how can I stop young kids, I have come home from work several times to find the stones a complete mess and the plants bent over.

Any help and advice is appreciated!

~livEwirE~

Motion detector sprinker?
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated-CRO101/dp/B000071NUS/ref=pd_sim_k_5/103-1366374-7752649

half a bottle of coke filled with water or pepper for the cats, supersoaker for the kids!

half a bottle of coke filled with water or pepper for the cats, supersoaker for the kids!

I haven't found pepper or the half filled bottle to work. The supersoaker isn't going to work when you aren't there though.

Children will explore and there's probably not much that you can realistically do other than ask their parents to try to keep them off your garden patch. I live in an area with what sounds like a similar open plan front garden setting and find that you just have to live with such incursions. The main annoyance is when real damage is done or people let their pets use the front patch as a toilet and don't clean up afterwards. On the other hand neither is the end of the world...

Cheers for all of the suggestions folks, gonna check out my local garden center for the dogs/cats solution but dunno about the kids, it happens when I'm not there which is the problems... Maybe some toxic chemicals which burn little hands is the solution

you could always put some of that greasy stuff for walls down so when the kids play on your patch they get manky dirty and carry all the grease back to their home - parents get mad and tell them to staff off your patch.

Rat traps will take care of the cats and the children. I'm not sure about the dogs.

Motion detector sprinker?
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated-CRO101/dp/B000071NUS/ref=pd_sim_k_5/103-1366374-7752649

Oh I love this thing - what a pain in the ass for a potential burglar!!