KBC tells Central Bank it's time to move on from their tracker focus

Has anyone an email address for the Johan Thijs? I think he needs a strongly worded email highlighting exactly what pages need to be turned! What an idiot. So out of touch. So arrogant.

Print it off and send it in the post for his attention?
Talk about hubris.
Bizarre and depressing comments from this guy...

Apology on behalf of KBC Group CEO Johan Thijs

KBC Group CEO has today offered a sincere apology for comments made yesterday during an analyst call following the announcement of the bank’s third quarter results.

“I would like to personally and sincerely apologise to our customers and to the Irish public for the offence caused by my words yesterday in relation to the tracker mortgage examination and investigation.

I want to acknowledge the insensitivity of what I said and the manner in which it was delivered. It was unintentional and I am truly sorry for the offence caused.

KBC has previously apologised for the way we handled tracker mortgages on behalf of our customers, many of whom were directly impacted and I would like, also personally, to formally reiterate that apology again today.

I would also like to acknowledge the crucial role played by the Central Bank of Ireland (CBI) in all regulatory matters, including the tracker mortgage examination. I want to express my support and respect on behalf of KBC for the role that the CBI plays in the regulation of banking in Ireland. We have fully cooperated with this investigation and will continue to do so until all matters in relation to tracker mortgages are dealt with.

KBC are determined to act as a positive force for choice in the Irish banking sector. We are committed to the process of cultural change in banking in Ireland. While my words yesterday do not reflect that, I want to assure people that KBC and myself will do everything in its power to regain public trust. We are fully committed to further supporting the Irish economy and the Irish people. My commitment is that we do so through actions and not just words.”

Viviane Huybrecht
General Manager Corporate Communication / spokesperson KBC Group

Apology on behalf of KBC Group CEO Johan Thijs

KBC Group CEO has today offered a sincere apology for comments made yesterday during an analyst call following the announcement of the bank’s third quarter results.

“I would like to personally and sincerely apologise to our customers and to the Irish public for the offence caused by my words yesterday in relation to the tracker mortgage examination and investigation.

I want to acknowledge the insensitivity of what I said and the manner in which it was delivered. It was unintentional and I am truly sorry for the offence caused.

KBC has previously apologised for the way we handled tracker mortgages on behalf of our customers, many of whom were directly impacted and I would like, also personally, to formally reiterate that apology again today.

I would also like to acknowledge the crucial role played by the Central Bank of Ireland (CBI) in all regulatory matters, including the tracker mortgage examination. I want to express my support and respect on behalf of KBC for the role that the CBI plays in the regulation of banking in Ireland. We have fully cooperated with this investigation and will continue to do so until all matters in relation to tracker mortgages are dealt with.

KBC are determined to act as a positive force for choice in the Irish banking sector. We are committed to the process of cultural change in banking in Ireland. While my words yesterday do not reflect that, I want to assure people that KBC and myself will do everything in its power to regain public trust. We are fully committed to further supporting the Irish economy and the Irish people. My commitment is that we do so through actions and not just words.”

Viviane Huybrecht
General Manager Corporate Communication / spokesperson KBC Group
Yet another apology, rings hollow tbh and from my own experience of dealing with bankers winging about the lack of bonuses at my dining room table, I’d say it’s what they’re all thinking, an utter disgrace

If they dealt with things properly, didn’t evade customers, prevaricate and obfuscate it would go a long way to having it all sorted in a proper timeline which would benefit everyone

An alternative view.

Maybe he is right, we all need to move on.

The Central Bank should put a time limit on banks to mop up this mess.

Any Bank that fails to comply should have debilitating penalties imposed.

Most people see banking as a kind of necessary industry along with waste collection and sewage treatment.

They are probably right.

Maybe Belgium is a country where people love their bankers but I suspect not.

Retail bankers in Ireland will just have to act penitent in public forever more. It's not that hard. They make a good living in return.

Maybe I’m wrong but I agree with him somewhat. Central bank should never have allowed the “independent” appeals to be such a protracted process. It should have been quick and then on to Ombudsman or legal but that wasn’t the case. If banks were slow with responses or dragging things it should have been punitive. It wasn’t .

Hi all I wanted to put forward my absolute disgust at the comments of the KBC chief today regarding the Central Bank and what it should do in regards the Tracker Issues, which are appalling. People are living with the consequences of what this lender (and the others) has done and many are only now going through the appeals process to have their cases heard. There are many accounts that were deemed not impacted by the CBI investigation, that will now have to progress to the FSPO process of complaint.
I write this having finished two Oral Hearings today and the effects this had on families and there are wounds that remain infected and untreated and these comments pour salt onto these families.
It is not a matter that can be simply brushed off and forgotten much and all as Mr. Thijs would like that to be the case and I for one will keep reminding him that what occurred has left many with fall out affects that will last for years.
Utter disgraceful what he stated.
Padraic Kissane

Well said Padraic, It is an absolute disgrace that someone in his position knowing the impact this has had on people to make a statement like that and the hollow apology afterwards that was forced by the backlash means nothing. I myself have been overpaying on my mortgage since 2009 which has had massive financial implications on myself and my family which continues to this day. As one example I have not paid into my pension since 2010 due to these overpayments and because of this I have also lost out on what my employer would have paid in if I was able to continue my contributions. This basically means I will not have a sufficient retirement fund when I need it and this is just one of the things that has been affected. The bank is a joke to deal with and don't care what the affects have been, currently are or will be in the future. I am only hoping that the ombudsman makes a decision in our favour but who knows how long that will take.

Hi all I wanted to put forward my absolute disgust at the comments of the KBC chief today regarding the Central Bank and what it should do in regards the Tracker Issues, which are appalling. People are living with the consequences of what this lender (and the others) has done and many are only now going through the appeals process to have their cases heard. There are many accounts that were deemed not impacted by the CBI investigation, that will now have to progress to the FSPO process of complaint.
I write this having finished two Oral Hearings today and the effects this had on families and there are wounds that remain infected and untreated and these comments pour salt onto these families.
It is not a matter that can be simply brushed off and forgotten much and all as Mr. Thijs would like that to be the case and I for one will keep reminding him that what occurred has left many with fall out affects that will last for years.
Utter disgraceful what he stated.
Padraic Kissane

We too are disgusted. We'd met with you Padraic June 2018 and you gave us great guidance (ps kids had chickenpox). We've been asked if we want to have an oral hearing.

I'd like this opportunity but should we have someone attending an oral hearing with us? I've asked a member of the Joint Fiance Committee who's been supporting our case but I'm not sure if they'd be free.

Thanking you

I've asked a member of the Joint Fiance Committee

I wouldn't think that is appropriate. Bringing a politician with you to an oral hearing?

If I were on the Panel I would probably go out of my way to make sure I was not influenced. I would make a decision on its merits but in grey areas, I would probably tilt against the customer. It's like when people apply for a job and then get a politician to put in a word for them.

Brendan

I wouldn't think that is appropriate. Bringing a politician with you to an oral hearing?

If I were on the Panel I would probably go out of my way to make sure I was not influenced. I would make a decision on its merits but in grey areas, I would probably tilt against the customer. It's like when people apply for a job and then get a politician to put in a word for them.

Brendan
Thanks for that Brendan. We couldn't get help from anyone else. Padraic cannot help either due to CBI restrictions.

And the Bank are still predujicing our appeal. They've redacted notes and withheld audio along with telling lies. I've reported each time to CBI. However CBI can't intervene but requested to use our case in their wider examination stating that the Bank should be fully cooperating and giving all.

I just feel we are on our own but I now see your point that it could be seen as influencing.

Last edited:
Back