KBC switch - advisable or not

misterchuck

Scouting switches from BOI on our mortgage. KBC has lowest rates and seems like a relatively easy process to switch.
Just wondering what the pitfalls might be and why so few people actually switch. Seems so worthwhile, but am I missing something,
Thanks in advance.

Other than chasing KBC for updates and reminding them that they had my paperwork to review there was no big hardship. Went from BOI Fixed rate to KBC fixed rate that was a bit lower, got the 3k switch money and am saving money on interest payments every month. From my POV it was worthwhile

Thanks - heard they can be a bit difficult to deal with in terms of paperwork.
How long did the entire process take you?

Thanks - heard they can be a bit difficult to deal with in terms of paperwork.
How long did the entire process take you?
About 5 months total, I needed to provide additional paperwork due to my employment so certified accounts etc and then there was an issue with the paperwork from when we bought the house originally that was only found when we had the sign off with solicitor etc. Underwriter seemed to take about a month to review the documents so maybe 3-5 months is realistic without the hoops we had?
I needed to chase KBC about a week after I send in any paperwork to remind them it was on file. But overall not a terrible experience

We switched to KBC, no issues at all. Got coffee mugs and buns for the kids when we called into a branch to drop paperwork off too! No online mortgage views like UB but not a big issue. Moved my current and credit card account and are still with them though we have since moved our mortgage. What I liked was the flat fee cashback, plus the ability to overpay on a fixed rate (10% of capital over fixed rate period at the time).

I’ve been going through the process to switch to KBC. It’s taking an age also. We’re at the house valuations stage which was completed last week. No idea how much more time needed.

Took the bones of 4.5/5 months for me to switch to KBC. That was in the middle of the covid uncertainty though so banks were being ultra cautious.

The amount you apply for is the amount you get so if you've made a few mortgage payments to your existing mortgage provider you could end up getting the difference back plus the 3k switch bonus.

Last edited:
Scouting switches from BOI on our mortgage. KBC has lowest rates and seems like a relatively easy process to switch.
Just wondering what the pitfalls might be and why so few people actually switch. Seems so worthwhile, but am I missing something,
Thanks in advance.

i'm currently in process with KBC and its a nightmare... we started over 5 months ago and despite everything being in order the 'computer' seems to fail a lot. I have email where the guy told lies on where the switcher was at etc.. Ironically we are now near the end of the road and following Avantcard annoucement today i'm now going to try these guys eventhough i have switched my salary into KBC... you might have more luck dealing with a hub.. but their online team are the greatest mess I have ever dealt with

How much does it cost to switch one bank to another..

What is required legal valuation etc?

Looks like Avant Money could be interesting here. 1.95% LTV is under 50% so ok there.

With KBC at the moment on 3.2% with 140 left
KBC have offered 2 or 3 year fixed at 2.45%

No such thing as free money

May look at paying a lump then fix at 2.45% fro 3 years rather than pay a couple of grand to move mortgage.

Back