KBC app - Can now view AIB and BOI balances

Markel

I just noticed the KBC app now lets you view your BOI and AIB account balances. Has anyone tried this? I remember some articles in the Autumn about it. I can see the convenience benefit but not sure the security risk is worth it (however I am likely being paranoid....)

I saw it was available a week ago or so but like you, I didn't want to set it up. It takes a very little amount of time to log in to the AIB app.

It's also against the AIB ts&cs to share your login details so if your account ended up breached you could end up at the loss of the money

That's what I found unsettling, giving them the keys as it were. Ideally they'd be a read only access for limited information sharing. I'll not be taking advantage of the feature for now!

I thought the point of PSD2 was to allow consumers not just to check their various account balances through the same app but also to more easily compare fees and interest rates and thus to fuel competition. But given that every Irish bank pays close to zero interest (with the CB seemingly determined to block potential foreign competitors such as Raisin) such a function would be of little use to Irish consumers.

Last edited: