Kayaking

I done a bit last summer (level2 and 3 course on the liffey).
I am at the stage now of having to buy a kayak which I can't afford yet. Are you doing a bit?

Ya was introduced to sea kayaking about 3 years agai by my girlfriend who had done it for a few years. We mainly sea kayaking, have you tried sea kayaking? You more whitewater or what? I think the challenge of sea kayaking in such beautiful surroundings is amazing.

What you thinking of buying? I am trying to get a website up and running so kaykaers can swap info and stories and the like. Are their many kayak outlets in Dublin?

I haven't tried sea kayaking yet, just all river stuff on the liffey and the boyne. In the dublin area most people get their gear from the great outdoors shop or second hand. I will be getting a creek boat possibly. I've mostly used playboats like dagger Gts but I think a creek boat would be better for me. Have you seen these sites. www.irishcanoeunion.com and www.irishfreestyle.com.

If anybody can tell me where to pick up a second hand 3-4 person open canoe it would be great.

Not too familiar with play boats really. Have seen them used but havent used them myself. the smllest i have used are the perception dancers, but I normally use perception sea kayaks on trips. You should try the sea kayaking, its great. Must try the playboating and surf stuff myself.

So whats involved with level 3 river profiency. I have up to level 3 done in sea kayaks and will do my level four this autumn. Can you roll?

PGD1, second hand kayaks/canoes are extremely hard to come buy, id say watch out in the buy and sell and stuff. Ill check around ans see if I know anyone. Kayaks/canoes are so durable people noramlly have them for a lifetime.

You guys wanan give me your email address's and i'll let ye know when I set up my website

Another question do you think the irish market is ready for a shop exclusively selling kayak.canoes and associated equipment>?

Kerin

Dont rush into buying a boat too early - A creeker is very limited as is a dedicated playboat - What you need to do is try things out. A boat like an Inazone is a good compromise. www.irishfreestyle.com has lots of reviews and discussions on the message boards - All your kayaking questions can be answered there.

Otherwise - Do a level 2 course with the ICU (if in the Dublin region). Once you have the level 2 you can join their bridging club for one season (August til about April/May) this will cost about €30 registration. They will have 2 trips per month at €10 for the instructors and all the gear. It allows you make up your mind on the sport - and on what gear to buy. You also get to meet other kayakers and through them can borrow peoples boats to try them out. Kayakers are generally a friendly crowd!!

MunsterMan,

Level 3 proficiency basically teaches the strokes and the maneouvres to be part of a down river trip and know how to keep out of harms way - you are not a river leader - but you have some more advanced skills. Things like edging, ferry-gliding, boat control, support strokes, rescues (as rescuer and rescuee) defensive swimming, and even into a bit of rope work for rescues. Rolling is not part of level 3. But is often taught as part of the course. All this info is on www.irishcanoeunion.com

munsterman25 said:
Sol 28 , you do any sea kayaking?

Not a lot - have friends that do though. I get sea sick while sea kayaking! Even on a calm day!!! Whitewater is more my style.

Ya sounds pretty much liek the level 3 sea kayaking profiency as regards ability and that. Have heard of some people getting sick alright even on calm days.

So Sol do you think, like me, that a good choice of gear and boats isnt available in ireland? Whats dublin area like?

Sol - I have already done the level 2 and 3.
munsterman - sounds like you are thinking of opening a shop. For what its worth it seems to me most people get their gear from the great outdoors or mail order (see www.splashtac.ie). (oh yes and I can roll fine)

Up here you can get gear in Great Outdoors, Outdoor adventure store (the watersports one on Abbey Street). (If you are a current member of the ICU - you can get 10% discount off the watersports stores - just not on boats)

Some gear can be bought in Surfdock. And then lidl for some odds and ends (60 ltr Dry Bags for 13.99 last week)

But there isnt a whole heap of choice. There is also www.riverstyle.com but dont know what they are like.

It seems to me that the enthusiasm for sea kayaking as oppossed to playboating and riverstuff is very poor.

munsterman25 said:
It seems to me that the enthusiasm for sea kayaking as oppossed to playboating and riverstuff is very poor.

There was a program on Nationwide on Monday night about Sea Kayaking. Seemed interesting - wondering if it will get people thinking about it.

did a bit of river kayaking in college years ago. bought a touring kayak for large lakes recently. i love it. probably need to do a few courses because I am out on my own a lot but I have all the safety gear. anyone teaching kayaking courses in the west ?

Hi Teabag whereabouts are you based? What type of touring kayak did you buy? I am thinking of getting a website going aimed at sea kaykers. Allow people to swap info on trips and that and organise trips between themselves maybe.

I kayak with my girlfriend so its normally just the two of us. Ideally on the sea there should be 3 at least.

Sol 28, was waiting for the feature on nationwide but kissed it monday night , the one bloody night it was on. I know someone on it? suppose you dont have a copy of it do you???????

Based in Galway. Got a Dagger Charleston 14. Intend to tour around the Corrib. Its a very stable kayak with a drop down skeg for tracking.
The sea kayaking on Nationwide looked interesting but I would rather fresh water lakes or large rivers.

Not familar with that pariticular boat. We use mainly perception boats and have the use of two perception carolina's. WE do a lot of our kayaking around west cork region.

WE have done up to level 3 sea proficency and are due to do our level 4 soon. Dont know anyone who does courses out of galway region but if you are ever down this way their is a great guy based in skibbereen. Jim Kennedy, the guy that featured on the nationwide program. Very professional, best of equipment and one hell of a nice man, great stories too. His website is www.atlanticseakayaking.com. I'd mail him if you wanted to know what was on soon as his calendar isnt very up to date.

As I said I'd lvoe to get a website up and running where sea kayakers could swap tips/locations whatever on it.

Back