jvc old type TV problem.

bigjoe_dub

I have a 32" JVC TV. it is 5 years old. (old type big crt tv)
it is connected to a sky plus box. when we switch on in the morning the picture has a good hint of green in it. (the odd time a hint of pink) if we switch off the telly with the sky remote and then switch it back on it is fine. we may have to do this 3-4 times for the first 10 mins. after this it is fine for the day. all cables at the back have been checked and are connected correctly.

is this the TV on the way out or could it be an issue with the sky box?

ta for any help /advice offered.

when we switch on in the morning the picture has a good hint of green in it. (the odd time a hint of pink)
Any chance you moved something like hifi speakers near it recently? The magnetic fields from these (and some other devices/items) can mess up the display. Sounds to be like the tube could need degaussing or else it's on the way out. As far as I know in many cases it's not cost effective to get a CRT TV repaired.

i think you are right CM. gone be the days where the tele would see a good 10-15 years.

if i have to get a new one i will go plasma or lcd. we have sky satillite (sky plus also) anyone recomend a good tv to go with this setup? would need enough scarts to cover a dvd, video, sky box and a wii. looking for say between 38" and 46". would want something that would take freeview digiatal in the futue(if we ever get it and if i could live without sky plus)

with the sales been on it may be a good time to buy but saying this I do not mind spening a tad extra for good quality.

would need enough scarts to cover a dvd, video, sky box and a wii.
You are probably going to need an external SCART switcher for that set of devices. I doubt that too many (any?) TVs have 4+ SCARTs. Maybe some of the devices can connect some other way (e.g. composite RGB, HDMI etc.)?
would want something that would take freeview digiatal in the futue(if we ever get it and if i could live without sky plus)
You don't have to use a built-in digital decoder - you could use and external one if/when things become clearer on that front.

Check out boards.ie for more discussion of such issues.

[broken link removed] > Tech > Cable & Digital TV

Our old CRT cost €80 to get fixed. But of course we had to drop it off and collect it. That was 2 or 3yrs ago.

would want something that would take freeview digiatal in the futue(if we ever get it and if i could live without sky plus)

I wouldn't get hung up on the Freeview, it will likely still be a year or two before it's available and since they were trialling MPEG-4 along with MPEG-2 its quite probable that when they do implement a system they will use MPEG-4 which is probably not supported by most of the Freeview TV's currently on sale here as the UK's current system is MPEG-2.

went looking today. most of the modern tv's have only 1 or 2 scart ports. you samsung got silly money had 3. hdmi seems to be the new thing, whatever the hell that is. sounds like a posh scart.

tesco has a 42" HD, brand is SEG, for €699. anyone ever head of them?

went looking today. most of the modern tv's have only 1 or 2 scart ports. you samsung got silly money had 3. hdmi seems to be the new thing, whatever the hell that is. sounds like a posh scart.

tesco has a 42" HD, brand is SEG, for €699. anyone ever head of them?

HDMI is a newer interface which can send HD signals and can be used on Bluray/HD-DVD players and the newer games consoles. Some newer non HD DVD players also use it.

Back