Jvc Gr-d70e

Barnes

Hi

I have a JVC Camcorder - I have only recently tried hooking it up to my PC & Laptop both to the Camcorder to transfer from tapes to create MPEGS both times it says camera not found - it does pick up new hardware which I presume is just the USB. Any ideas on this and also can you actually transfer from tape PC over a USB cable.

Thanks

B

Hi Barnes

I am not familiar with your camcorder but I found the following with my Sony (about 3 year old but high spec at the time) so perhaps the same is true:

1) When plugged in by USB I needed a driver on my PC (check Camcorder package for a CD or download from JVC site). Using USB, it works more like a webcam (with streaming quality) and the resolution captured from recording from tape is not of TV or DVD quality.

2) When plugged in by Firewire, there is full quality and editing capability is as you would expect, with synchronisation of stop and start during capture etc.

Therefore, if your camcorder is similar, you might want to use Firewire instead of USB.

I've a laptop so in my case a 4 pin to 4 pin cable was needed. If you've a desktop with a Firewire port, then 6 pin to 4 pin is probably needed.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Neil

Hi,

I had a similar problem getting the Camcorder picked up but the firewire cable sorted it. Now I have a follow on question;

1) I captured the contents of one tape and during the capture saved it as an avi - it turns into 11 gigs arrrrggghhh to burn this onto cd's it would take about 16!

2) can anyone recommend SW to that can capture it as an mpeg or at least some compressable format to fit a 60 minute tape on one DVD.
I plan on getting myself an DVD burner.

thanks

Back