just wrote off car, what next?

Kerak

Well after 22 years with out a scratch, ran off the road in heavy rain today. spun, ditch, bam. side bag inflated, seat belt did its job, my head broke the drivers window.

Was partly hidden and for 10 mins cars and tour buses just passed on by.

Local stopped and helped. Ambulance called 30mins was shook but didnt need treatment. Guards also arrived no one else involved so not overly concerned, checked tyres(good) and insurance.

Contacted insurance, nice girl took details, mentioned I would lose my no claims bonas several times. Put me throught to recovery truck and they arrived with n a short while and took car away.Ican have a loaner car for 7 days or 10 days if wrote off. can pick it up tomorrow(sat)
Wife had rung neighbour and he took me home.
Car is an 05 auto Rover 75 was in perfect condition!looks pretty sad now. Worth 4-5k. I have fully comp.

So now im sore and stiff but what next?

Sorry to hear that Kerak.

But at least you're alright, a lot easier to replace a car than a limb or God forbid.......worse.

Hi Kerk,
Had similar experience 6 years ago. Made my claim and very similar to yours, hospital but apart from 2 broken ribs and a cracked sternum all ok and discharged that day.
My experience in Talaght was not good, on a Sunday am. In corridor with drunks and drug addicts plus other patients. One poor doctor got threatened with fists if he did not remove the drip inserted in a drug addicts arm, while the patient would not let him near him. It was frightening, I had oxogen which became detached, good there were no smokers around.
Anyway claimed from my insurance and they offered me about 2/3rds the value of the car. I went to my supplier and he gave me a letter stating the value of my car, partly due to the very low mileage, and they paid accordingly. Luckily I had insured my no-claims bonus so no increase. Good luck with your claim, dont be too soft wth the insurance. Browtal

Well update,

car took away safely by Insurance appointed recovery company, went up next day and collected personal items and was given a loan car for up to 10 days.( Saturday)
Monday engineer /assessor looked at car, and on Tuesday made an settlement offer, which after some mild debate was acceptable to be( there where 4 cars similar age and type on web for sale, we averaged the price and I was OK with it.)

NO ill effect myself, so now in market for a car.
lessons- are you and your family ready for a sudden loss, had I been killed would wife have all the necessary details to deal with everything- my case I don't think so. Morbid thoughts but maybe some thing for people to think about.

Thanks for best wishes

Some insurers(such as AA Insurance, my insurer) include an element of personal accident cover; death,loss of eye,limb etc. Check details of policy or add'l covers offered. I keep all my insurance details together, so it's kind of obvious should I come a cropper!