Just plugged in my IBB Ripwave, what next?

cizzy

So what do i do next? there are very limited instructions and surely there is mor to it than that. Not very tech-minded by the way so looking for a fools guide.

The instructions that came with my sister in law's box were very clear even for non technical users.

The instructions i got was just a leaflet telling you to plug the earthnet cable into the back of the computer and then turn it on. i have internet access but there was no mention of how to secure the connection.

hehe, typical IBB. Give customers terrible broadband & don't make any mention of security.

Firstly, download a personal firewall if you don't have one already.
ZoneAlarm from Zonelabs is pretty good & there's a freeware version available as well.

You will also need an Anti-virus program. Try Avira AV, again freeware for home use available.

whatever you do, don't connect to the net without a Firewall & AV program.

The instructions i got was just a leaflet telling you to plug the earthnet cable into the back of the computer and then turn it on. i have internet access but there was no mention of how to secure the connection.
You don't. This (wireless broadband) is not the same as a wireless LAN router (wireless LAN access to a broadband link) which usually should be secured (e.g. using WEP or WPA and MAC address filtering etc.). If you mean securing your PC generally then that's a separate matter. Check the "clean PC" thread pinned at the top of this forum for tips on firewalls, viruse/malware checkers etc.

See I told you I was not very tech-minded!