Just got drinking water tested

bertson

Hi,
I just got a report back on my domestic water supply (New well)

The results show high levels of Colour, iron and manganese
Colour (Pt-Co Units) 72
Iron 1.4
Manganese 2.2

Basically, slight colour in the water with high levels of iron and manganese.

I got a quote of around 1500 euro to get rid of the three,

Would this seem about right, bear in mind the cost of replacing bathroom ware in a years time would be much more

Cheers
Bert

Re: Just got water drinking water tested

Assume you mean a water filtration system. €1500 sounds very reasonable to me. I paid more some years ago. Consider getting a UV lamp fitted now too, especially if you have young children, it will cost more, but what cost peace of mind?

thanks Vanilla
Did you have similar levels?
Where did you get your system?

no kids at the moment, but I see what your saying

We had very high levels of iron in our water, along with something else which I cannot now remember! We got our system and installation from a local man, so unless you are in the Kingdom, I think the information would not be useful to you!

Thanks Vanilla
I'm also going through a local plumber dude (carlow)

thanks for the info

Get a second test done by a company that can't quote for a treatment system because they don't sell them .

I had a similar problem (private well) and found out that letting the water run for some hours the iron and manganese levels dropped considerable.

One reason could be that the well liner -the first 8 meters- is made from rusting steel . The ground water level within the bore hole changes according to usage and weather (rain fall) and rusty sediments occure simply because the rising and falling ground water level within the bore hole washes off some of the oxyde from the inner side of the steel pipe. This you'll find in the tap water.

One way to get rid off this rust sediment is to change the steel liner versus non rusting steel as it is used in mineral water and spring water manufacturing . The problem could be tackled as well by increased pumping , the " bad " water would than be dilluted .

But note : in areas with naturally high iron/manganese content in the ground water this won't eliminate the source.

Check nearby ground water fed streams if they show this discoulouration as well. If you live in an area with for example red sand stone in the geological structure this could be the case .

heinbloed said:
Get a second test done by a company that can't quote for a treatment system because they don't sell them .

Good idea I was just about to ask this of the OP. Call me cynical but it doesn't seem to me like a good idea to get a water test done by someone who has a distinct interest in it not being of good quality.

I got the test done by an indepentent lab

cost me 2k more or less. Have hard water so resin tank & salt. Also high iron & I think manganese - so another resin tank and some weird purple sulphate that needs to be spooned in once a week

also bacteria so aforementioned UV lamp fitted.

All said I'm happy with the results. Left one hard water tap into house - hard water good for drinking (taste etc.) but bad for kettles and the like. Ongoing costs are fairly low - I believe may need bulb worth €90p.a. re UV but not using too much salt.

Perfect Water are the suppliers. Wasnt their own lab who tested but they got it tested for me & know all neighbours in same boat so no rip-off.

It seems the water softeners which de-activate the hardness electronically dont take the "gunge" out of the water - so even if its not sticking to the element its lying on the bottom of the kettle.

We have got the water from a private bored well tested and the results show that there is no total cloriforms or ecoli present. Also the water is not hard. The pH is lowish at 6.4.

There is very high levels of manganese and quite high levels of iron. There is also a faint smell of rotten eggs from the water when it is first turned on.

Who can I turn to in order to get independant professional advice on how to deal with the problem?

How expensive are (Iron and Manganes) filters to install? Are they expensive keep fed with consumables?

Obviously commercial systems are sensible but I just wanted to let you know that a good old third-world technology trickle-filter through sand into a holding tank will take out iron and manganese (by allowing oxygenation and precipitating the metal oxides onto the sand). We have had such a system running for nearly 15 years and it costs us 2 buckets of sand (we return the rusty used sand to the beach) and about a day of time each year to change the sand 4 times, once a quarter.

We do carefully boil the sand before it goes into the filters for hygiene and this is the main thing that takes time but it's quite a soothing process especially when you think about it being free...

All the best

Imogen

What part of the country do you live in? Is it a private well?

Dublin but it is regular source. I always wondered about the water dished out by the council and if it was relatively hassle free and cheap I would get it tested.

If you are connected to the mains then the council should test it free of charge for you. Just ring them up and ask them and they should be able to come out and take the sample.

I don't like the idea of product sellers also doing the testing. Given the current hiatus here, is there an independant lab in the West?

I don't like the idea of product sellers also doing the testing. Given the current hiatus here, is there an independant lab in the West?

I was at an exhibition lately and picked up a business card for a company called Complete Laboratory Solutions based in Ros Muc. I have no link with this company at all, I work for a local authority in another part of the country.

They have a website www.completelabsolutions.com if you want to check them out?

Hi Ive just fitted a system which I bought on line from this company www.water2buy.ie. Equipment delivered within a few days and a lot less than quotes from installers.Check out the prices for comparison,I have no connection with these guys either!

Hi can any of you please tell me where you got the independent water tests done?

Mrs aol, if you ring your county council laboratory, they will recommend a reputable private lab to you. I presume you have a private well?