Just bought a house - no BER rating as yet

RMCF

Will this affect anything when I am going through the mortgage process or completing out the deal?

I know I should have asked when I viewed the property, but it totally escaped me. I have asked the EA to ask the seller to get it done asap.

If the rating is low, does it allow me some scope to force the sellers to upgrade insulation etc before they leave?

Hi RMCF, this won't affect the mortgage process. The things you have to have in place to drawdown mortgage monies are life assurance, direct debit mandate, house insurance, solicitors undertaking etc.

Whether the BER rating gives you scope to negotiate with vendor would depend on house in my opinion. If you're looking at a 1920s house then the BER rating is going to be poor and you should expect this and I would say little room or negotiation. It would be different I think if you were looking at a new build.

the BER is supposed to be available for viewing once the property is put up for sale.. .but this is simply not policed....

a BEr will be asked for as part of the sale process but its usually one of the last documents requested.

as for value, you may be able to use it as a bargaining tool.... but a pre-purchase report from a competent professional is far more valuable... he/she can include in their report what is required to bring to property to current standards and put an approximate costs on it. a BER will simply say A - G... and G is never ending..... a cardboard box would still have a g rating!!

Its not a deal-breaker, but it is being done in the next few days.

As I said the sale is agreed, so I was just wondering if it comes back a 'C', would there be scope for trying to get a few hundred Euro back from the seller to bring it up to spec before I move in.

the BER is supposed to be available for viewing once the property is put up for sale.. .but this is simply not policed....

Your absolutely right..I was looking to rent houses recentkly and the vast majority had no ber cert...

Back