"Just because Brussels gives me a mandate to stop the rain..."

The whole thing is a farce.

If the Italian parliament for example was serving up this nonsense, can you just imaging the scathing derision that would be heaped upon the Italians by those elements in England who are most in favour of Brexit.

My contact in the Berlaymont tells me that the staff of the Commission and the permanent reps of the 27 are all so fed up and bored with the whole thing that England may struggle to get an extension.

I like the UK but the brits are an awkward stubborn people, stubborn for the sake of it in the case of Northern unionists

History tells us that nothing stays the same. Like so many empires the English one faded and like so many former empire countries they take a long time to get over it. Russia is trying to rekindle and so are being a nuisance to their neighbours. Let us hope that a future English led Britain does not revert back to similar. As a small country we have enjoyed a fairly peaceful time having no major aggressor threatening our existence and I hope that does not change.

As we live in this time period of the world I always like to say that geography is our main defence as we are more or less out of the way of big bully country's who would walk back and forward through us to get at each other.

We have no need to have others impose misery on us, our own are doing a great job in that respect currently. Crooked cops, uncaring nurses, greedy politicians - a lot of it documented in today's Sunday Times.

As we live in this time period of the world I always like to say that geography is our main defence as we are more or less out of the way of big bully country's who would walk back and forward through us to get at each other.
The "At least we're no Poland" argument. Yes, it has considerable merit. We only had to contend with the English. The Polish were sandwiched between Russia and Germany/Prussia.

I keep hearing from Brexiteers that the UK will not put up customs controls infrastructure on the UK side of the border in Ireland. Apparently, they say, there is no need. Is this true?
And if it is, then presumably the UK will have no need to put up any borders anywhere else between it and EU?
Wouldn't that make a mockery of the brexiteer slogan "take control of our borders"?

Brexit is all about immigration and a desire by English people to reduce the level of foreigners to move to their country. Ironically the bulk of these move to London and that voted to remain. I recall a senior manager in a multi-national telling me he was voting to leave because he was fed up seeing Polish food in Tesco's.

Throw in the fact that there is a an arrogance in Britain about their position in the world "We're British!! why wouldn't everyone bend over backwards to give us what we need" which dates back to their empire. Brexit has been a bit of a come-uppance for them in that respect

As for Northern Ireland, deep down most English people (and lets not forget Brexit should probably be called Engexit) don't give a damm about the place and don't really consider it truely British. Try giving an Ulster Bank tenner to a taxi driver in London or a shop in Sunderland and see what the reaction is.

I had forgotten this thread. This is another quote in the same vein...

EU on no-deal Brexit vote: ‘Like Titanic voting for the iceberg to move’
Brussels spokesman offers withering assessment of MPs’ decision on Wednesday night

I also heard someone say that the Brexit votes in the House of Commons was as if the British MPs had voted for the iceberg to move which I think is better again.

Brexit is all about immigration and a desire by English people to reduce the level of foreigners to move to their country

I agree, but im disappointed that no-one has called them out on this 'no need for a hard border between UK/EU in Ireland' line. The obvious way to expose this is ask what makes the border in Ireland so special that it requires no customs posts while every other border in UK, at airports and shipping ports, will require customs checks with EU.

The obvious way to expose this is ask what makes the border in Ireland so special that it requires no customs posts while every other border in UK, at airports and shipping ports, will require customs checks with EU.
Didn't they say something like "We have the technology to do this with cameras and computers ...." or somefink like vat ....

Didn't they say something like "We have the technology to do this with cameras and computers ...." or somefink like vat ....

Yes, but the obvious question would be, why not install this technology at all your other customs posts with EU and have frictionless trade there too?
The irony of all this is that Brexit was supposed to herald a new free trade era for Britain and restrict migration. Instead, trade will be hampered and migration (illegal or otherwise) will continue unabated.

I now think of it as a friend at your house party.

They are drunk, which was fun for a while.
Then they got messy and abusive.

You now need them to leave because at this point, its just the lesser of 2 evils despite the future impact it will have on your relationship.

Hi

Apologies if im somewhat behind the curve in this, but this looks like a topic about the madness of Brexit.
I should state im am not opposed to Britain leaving the EU, its just the manner and reasoning that is mad.
So I saw an interview today with Nigel Farage. He who against too much immigration and who is pals with Donald Trump, also trying to curb immigration into the US.
Anyway, during the interview, Farage - without a hint of humility or awareness of what he was saying, told the interviewer that he was planning to go to the US to start a new career as a media pundit.
I follow quite a broad spectrum of US news and I cannot recall ever hearing that there was shortage of media pundits.
So it really grates at me the arrogance of people like Farage who automatically think it is ok for them to become an immigrant to another country and simultaneously make a career out of trying to deny that option for others.
Makes me sick.

There, got that off my chest.
Thanks.

There are plenty of “people like Farage”, unfortunately. Even the language they use betrays the mindset: British people retiring to Spain are “expats”, Polish plumbers coming to work in the UK are “immigrants”. It just doesn’t compute in that world view the expats and immigrants are one and the same thing.

So it really grates at me the arrogance of people like Farage who automatically think it is ok for them to become an immigrant to another country and simultaneously make a career out of trying to deny that option for others.
There is a huge differance. He will not turn up on the doorstep of US border control and say he has no documents. He will go through the same process as anyone seeking a working visa in the US prior to going. He can also be refused a working visa on the basis that as you state 'there are others here in the US who can do that function'.

Teresa is gone.
Bad and all that she was she was still better than Boris the buffoon or Geremy the old school communist.

Back