Just arrived in UK after Irish self employment

wannabesavvy

Hello Folks,

Somebody has mentioned a double taxation treaty between the UK and Ireland and that I will need to make two returns for 2015, and finally, that it is beneficial to be in this sort of arrangement vs tax residency in one country. This thread is a fact finding mission to get more info on these statements. Not looking for formal advice.

A bit of background ::

In September 2014, I became self employed in Ireland. Generated some income and will make a return for that this year. I continued to work on projects in Ireland during January 2015, with no payments as of yet.

On February 2nd, 2015, I arrived in the UK indefinitely, after which point I will receive payment for work done in January (Ireland). I will be employed by an employer in the UK (regular PAYE) with a small amount of income from side projects as self employed.

So my questions are as follows, I would really appreciate if you could answer as many or as little as possible:

• For the year 2015, does the above make me a tax resident in Ireland as well as the UK?
  • Am I obliged to make personal income returns in both Ireland and the UK for 2015?
  • Is there any benefit to me in making dual returns and what are the logistics of being dual residents and the double taxation being relevant to me? I'm assuming it to be obvious that I will not pay tax twice on my earnings..
  • Since I will be physically in the UK for all times when I received money, if making an Irish return, what do I put on it?
Thanks in advance for reading.

Ok. Sounds awkward but I think I understand. So,

Irish tax return as normal declaring all income for that year. This will overlap with the UK..where I will enter my income received while in the UK during Feb/March 2015.

While in Ireland during January 2015 I did not receive any money so do I need to make a return to Ireland for 2015?

Also, is there any benefit to my situation regarding credits etc?

Thanks.

Back