Jury Duty

tosullivan

my wife was called last week one day for j duty..she was sent home and got called again today and was sent home. on both occasions she has had a neighbour or friend available to pick up our kids from school on standby if she could pick them up as I am working

Tomorrow she has to go back again but there is nobody we know that can be on standby as its parent teacher meeting week in the schools so they are all otherwise occupied

I'm working down the country tomorrow so is there a way she can explain to the court clerk in the morning of not having anyone available and the situation and they would excuse her?

Is she normaly the full time carer of the kids? The courts do not expect you to do jury service if you are self employed or are a full time carer.

Is she normaly the full time carer of the kids? The courts do not expect you to do jury service if you are self employed or are a full time carer.
yes she is...this is the problem

she has just rang and said she is not needed again today but has to go back again tomorrow and for another couple of weeks...I find this a crazy situation

If she is a full time carer she will be excused if she says she has no-one else to look after the kids (I am not a lawyer, but I was called for jury service twice, and the judge had no problem with someone who was a carer and said they couldn't do it.).

The general opinion among the legal profession is that the ideal jury is one full of people who havent the cop on to be able to evade jury service. If they werent on the juty they would probably be watching Jeremy Kyle Show

Back