July 08 Tax Change - better to buy car reg after July?

LouthLass

Would appreciate peoples thoughts on this.

I will be changing my car next year, currently have an 03 reg. However, do you think it would make more economical sense to buy a car that has been registered after July 08 to avail of the new tax rates? If the changes were not introduced I would be very happy with an 06 or 07 model but I'm thinking of it in the long run also as when I go to sell in in a couple of years time would it be more attractive to buyers if it availed of the cheaper tax rates? Was thinking of either a VW Golf or Ford Focus but obviously this may change depending on how I feel at the time

What do other people think of this, would this make a difference if you were buying a car??

It depends on the car. For example, my car which has only a only 1.4L engine would be over €600 to tax on th new system. The 1.6 Automatic is about €1,000. So, if I wanted the same I would have to buy a pre July 08. As it is I would love you know how many (or few) they have sold since then.

to be honest if you can afford an 08 then get an 08 and dont get hung up on the Jul 08 isssue. The new rule states that if the car is registered from Jan 08 onwards it will qualify for the new tax rtaes based on emissions and not engine size.

Mind you if you can get an 06 or 07 at a good price keep is a good few years then it may cost in. I have just got an 07 Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.2 Tdci hatchback from UK, very cheap even with VRT but I will be hammered on the road tax even though emisisons are only 161grms. I am going to keep it for as long as possible and then if needs be scrap it. The joy of driving it makes it worth the extra and hey mabye the EU will force this government to allow tax on emissions, eg when they are very low.

I can only dream.

New GOLF is supposedly to be very refined ie quiet. Focus better value and drive.

noah

If it's any 08 model it wont make a difference on road tax upon renewal in 09. Pre 08 is the old road tax system.