Judgement against my husband. He has passed away.

Deb___

4 weeks after his cancer diagnosis my husband passed away last week. We are distraught.

One of the many things weighing down on me is our financial situation. Our mortgage protection insurance lapsed a year or more ago. Also a few months ago dh's credit union successfully filed a judgement against him whereby upon sale of our house they get their full settlement. Now that dh is deceased I don't know if that judgement is still valid? I know that a credit union loan dies when the member dies but I have no clue what happens when there's a judgement. I will of course talk to my solicitor in the coming weeks but I can't do that yet. It's easier to just type it here for now until I have a clear head.

Condolences to you.

Maybe ask the CU directly about the judgment and what happens next?

Presumably there is no way that your lapsed mortgage protection will pay out here?

I am guessing you mean the CU got the judgement registered as a judgement mortgage aginst your property. If so this remains until the debt is paid.

If you have insurance on the Credit Union loan and lots do this may be enough to discharge the debt and then you could get the judgement mortgage removed.

4. It's easier to just type it here for now until I have a clear head.

Deb I'm very sorry for your loss, as this is troubling you perhaps you could visit the credit union and find out the situation, of all institutions they are very sympathetic and may have a solution for you.

Normally CUs have insurance that wipes out debt on the death of a member.

But the issue here is that it is no longer a loan. It is now a judgment mortgage.

But that doesn't discharge the judgment mortgage? And it wouldn't still be classed as a loan in the CU, it must be under another heading like bad debts or something.

Back