Joint site single mortgage?

Dublin Divorce

Hi
I’ve read on a few posts that the banks won’t give a single mortgage on a jointly owned site. Can anyone explain the reasoning?

My situation is that I already have a huge mortgage on a property. Jointly owned with my ex husband and the mortgage was partially warehoused for a while after he walked out but has now been paid in full by me for the last year.

I now jointly own a site with my new partner and we want to self build. I presume due to my borrowings and previous restructure I wouldn’t be eligible for another mortgage however my partner earns enough to apply for a mortgage on his own.
Is this possible?

Short answer as to bank's reasoning is that you can't mortgage a property you don't fully own hence all owners must consent to the mortgage and from the bank's point of view that means a joint mortgage.

Short answer as to bank's reasoning is that you can't mortgage a property you don't fully own hence all owners must consent to the mortgage and from the bank's point of view that means a joint mortgage.
Thank you. That makes sense. I presume my situation would rule out a joint mortgage (house in negative equity so I can’t sell) or would banks potentially accept a joint application in this sort of case, in that my part is just consenting to the mortgage rather than relying on my salary etc for the loan?

Part of the problem would be that once it is a joint mortgage then your income/expenditure will be taken into account too as you are a couple so your existing repayments and record would come into play. Might be worth consulting a broker to run through the figures and see if you have any chance or stick them up here and someone may be able to advise.

Back