Joint ownership (house)

acegsd

I want to put our house into joint ownership with my wife
The house is currently in my name only.
I don't want to use a solicitor
Can I do this myself without a solicitor?

I want to put our house into joint ownership with my wife
The house is currently in my name only.
I don't want to use a solicitor
Can I do this myself without a solicitor?[/qu

Why dont you want to use a solicitor?

There can be other difficulties esp if there is a mortgage involved. In that case use of a solicitor is advised.

If there is no mortgage it is an easy procedure which can be done without a solicitor.

"If there is no mortgage it is an easy procedure which can be done without a solicitor."

Possibly. If it is a straightforward Land Registry Freehold title and OP follows verbatim the Land Registry precedent Transfer. Once the title is in any way more complex, they are more likely to make an absolute hames of it.

mf

There is no mortgage involved
It's just in the case of my death I want to leave as few problem's as possible.
Can I go the the land registry and do it myself and will they help with flling in forms?

There is no mortgage involved
It's just in the case of my death I want to leave as few problem's as possible.
Can I go the the land registry and do it myself and will they help with flling in forms?

I do not know if Land Reg will help you their number is 016707500

A solicitor would cost from say €250 -€400 plus vat and outlays. The outlays will be the same as those you incur doing it yourself.

A few issues: are you sure your house is registered in the land registry and not the reg of deeds?
Do you have your title documents?

If you do this yourself please do it right as saving solicitors fees now can cost you or your loved one dearly if you make a hames of it.

I am a solicitor so you may say well "you would say that wouldnt you" but I would not want to do the plumbing/electrics in my house as I am not qualified to do it and to get myself up to speed on such things would cost me more in time and effort than to get an expert for a reasonable fee. When it comes to what is the most valuable asset you own, ie your house, well it may be worth the solicitors fee.

If you have no children and you die (which is what you seem to be worried about) then all your property will go to her so you don't need to have the house in her name. There is no harm in asking a few solicitors for the price of making the transfer in any case, you might find you can afford it and it will give you peace of mind.

Yes - but if the property is put into joint names now as joint tenants it will pass automatically by survivorship on death of one and there will be no need to take out a Grant of Probate to put the property into survivors name. Otherwise there will be the added stress of probate after the death.

I think , in very general terms, people prefer to put off responsible decisions because of laziness, fear of mortality and everything else you can think of . But the reality is in a settled relationship ( i.e. where there is no risk of separation or divorce) it does make sense to hold all assets jointly. And to pay a solicitor to transfer property into joint names.

mf

Hi acegsd,

You could save yourself some hassle and just leave things as they are, although the house is in your name if anything were to happen to you it will get passed onto her anyway...
Also, and I dont mean to upset you but if anything were to happen between you and your wife she would probably get most of the house too.. So why bother..

BountyHunter.

Also there are very good reasons to leave the house in 1 name only. Swings and roundabouts really.

It seems to me that you want to avoid unnecessary costs, which is fine by me, however, I'm not a solicitor, but as one of the previous posts said that It might cost you €250 - €400 plus Vat and outlays which seems cheap compared to the bill your spouse would get if probate was involved with your will.

Remember the the probate bill from your solicitor will usually be based on a percentage (which seems to vary) of the value of the estate. Open to correction on this.

Take a look at this http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=47054&highlight=probate+costs or do a serach on AAM for 'Probate Costs'

another punter seeking to have a DIY go at the legal profession, do you ever hire professionals to do work for you or do you 'ave a go at those matters yourself also ?