joint mortgage but only one signed the rate form.

pablohoney

long story short. I took out a mortgage in 2007. i was initially applying for mortgage and was told father would have to go as guarantor for o number of years(5) and would be on the loan not the deeds. At some stage my mortgage application was refused (i was never informed) and my father was changed to a joint borrower (he didnt know this either - however signed the forms). anyway theres a case with the ombudsman. When i was applying for the mortgage i was informed i didnt qualify for a tracker. i signed a fixed rate mortgage and then reverted to variable when that was finished (3 years). when i applied for my data through a data request i found on the application for a mortgage my father (applicant 2) is clearly listed as a guarantor. On the rate application form borrower 2 (my father although unbeknown to him) is left blank. i.e only one of us signed the form for the 3 ear fixed rate. I came into difficulty in 2014 wen things were bad and entered arrears. this is when i found out my father was in fact a co borrower not a guarantor and was still on the loan even though 5 years had passed. From day 1 of the mortgage he never had any correspondence from the bank and they only went looking for him when i couldnt pay and threathened court etc. Ombudsman is dealing with that side of things but in relation to the rates is there anything there to say that if the forms were not signed by both parties that we should have been on the most favourible rate(ie tracker). I fixed my mortgage last year and they wouldnt entertain it unless both us signed. If this is in the wrong place apologies.
Thanks

incorrect Brendan . we did use a solicitor. we were both there at different times. my fatrher thought he was signing to be a guarantor. i was signing to be a borrower. anyways as i said thats with the ombudsman and theres documentary evidence to support what happened. my question here relates to the rates as as it stands its currently a joint mortgage and only one of us signed the rate offer form when mortgage was taken out.

You were the main borrower
You signed the rates form
So what is the issue?

Whether or not your dad was a borrower or guarantor seems irrelevant?

If there is an issue,surely it’s with your solicitor who didn’t tell your dad what he was signing? Though I would guess That he did

You were the main borrower
You signed the rates form
So what is the issue?

Whether or not your dad was a borrower or guarantor seems irrelevant?

If there is an issue,surely it’s with your solicitor who didn’t tell your dad what he was signing? Though I would guess That he did
Hi Brendan thanks for the reply. The reason I asked about the dates was because when I couldn’t pay he was asked to make payments when he what never had a rate offer or never signed one. When I went to fix last year his signature was required along with mine or they woudnt give the rate.

he was asked to make payments when he what never had a rate offer or never signed one.

That is completely irrelevant.

You might as well say "He was asked to pay although he had a red coat"

He guaranteed/borrowed the money. So he pays it back. He can't get out of it because of some minor technicality.

Brendan

Back