Joint Current Account - where to go

Ihana

My husband and I opened a joint account with KBC 18 months ago to avail of their competitive banking and regular saver accounts. The regular saver account was never opened despite repeated contact with them. Then my bank card was stolen last march. They would not replace without both signatures so we attended the branch and signed relevant documents and card has never arrived.

So.. We are fed up. And are going to move. Which banks can competently handle a joint current account? We are considering BOI as there is a local branch in the village which we would like to support. We both keep personal bank accounts for most things and the joint account is really just for joint bills, rent, and savings. My husband banks with AIB. We would also consider PTSB.

I would suggest the employees you're dealing with are incompetent rather than the bank as a whole. I've had trouble with AIB, BOI & PTSB in the past and excellent service at other times. I use KBC for their rates now and they've been very good so far. Just pick the bank with the best terms after checking bonkers.ie.

Unless things have got very bad i worked in a bank for 45 years some years ago and never was aware of problems operating a joint current account other than the rare occasion where one party went a bid wild writing cheques. However with online each party can if they wish keep an eye on things. Once set up there really should be no problems

Perhaps it is incompetent employees but while I can forgive one transgression, two or three or more as have occurred in this case suggest an endemic problem. So we will move. I dont believe in tolerating bad customer service.

Have you written a letter of complaint to the Bank. If not you should do this as every bank has a complaints procedure and your complaint must be properly dealt with. Make sure you detail each unsatisfactory issue and identify time dates etc.

I havent. got married last year. work abroad a lot etc etc. It just got away from us.