Joint account for bills, seperate account for day-to-day

paulocon

Hi,

Just looking for some advice.

Myself and my wife have a joint account into which I get paid monthly. All bills etc. are setup as direct debits from this account. It also contains some savings.

What we are finding is that due to the fact that there is effectively a mixture of savings, money for bills and money for day-to-day living in the account, it can be hard to manage our 'own' money (done up a family budget and assigned ourselves so much each month).

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a 'sub account' whereby we could each have our own seperate account for this money? I'm assuming there's not and that the only option would be to open 2 more personal current accounts thereby loosing free banking (due to savings in account) etc.

Hope that makes sense and appreciate any feedback..

Hi - Why dont you just open up ONE joint account and each put in a certain amount a month so that you can pay all bills / groceries etc out of that? I know a lot of people that do that and its very successful. Each have a laser/atm card for that account..

Why not open two savings accounts with a sum of money transferred in to them every month for each of you? These accounts could still be in joint names but to distinguish each account have you as first named on one and your partner as first named on the other?

Back