John Martyn RIP

Z

z106

Respect to john martyn who died this morning at the age of only 60.

He was one of the great music legends.

Ah no - bad news.

I'm a big fan - he was a troubled guy and let's face it, hasn't enjoyed good health for years. I saw him less than 2 years ago at a very intimate gig - absolutely spellbinding.

Amazing that such a hard living 'rough diamond' (for want of a better phrase) was capable of such aching tenderness in his music.

I'd urge anyone to buy Bless the Weather or Solid Air for starters if you're into dreamy, trippy jazz/folk bliss.

A sad day - RIP John.

Ah no - bad news.

I'm a big fan - he was a troubled guy and let's face it, hasn't enjoyed good health for years. I saw him less than 2 years ago at a very intimate gig - absolutely spellbinding.

Amazing that such a hard living 'rough diamond' (for want of a better phrase) was capable of such aching tenderness in his music.

I'd urge anyone to buy Bless the Weather or Solid Air for starters if you're into dreamy, trippy jazz/folk bliss.

A sad day - RIP John.

Ya p- that's the gig at vicar street i presume you are referring to.

I would go along with those 2 album suggestions too.

Also get the double album greates hits.
A few more gems in that too.

i'd avoid that one he did ith his then wife beverley.

Ya - it's amazing that such a rough diamond as u put it could come up with those kind of tunes.

Ya p- that's the gig at vicar street i presume you are referring to.

No actually - The Spirit Store in Dundalk - great venue.

Completely forgot to pay tribute to his guitar playing - seriously, one of the best acoustic players I have ever seen. If you've ever seen his big sausage like fingers, it doesn't even seem possible that he could have played the things he did - and a lovely hazy voice which seemed totally at odds with his face & frame!

In fact, I'm away to play some of his stuff now.

'Fine lines' would have to be one of his many great tunes if you're looking for a suggestion on what to play first.

Fingers crossed e'll have a few documentaries dedicated to him over the coming days.

Back