John Hayes' Red Card

mathepac

I just watched the highlights of the 30-0 defeat by Leinster, but what shocked me to the core was the incident that resulted in John Hayes being dismissed.

Did anyone see it as I didn't have the record thingy on and only saw a brief replay (BBC2 Wales Scrum V)? (not an "official" Sky channel.)

If what I saw is accurate then it was a deliberate, savage and cowardly attack on a helpless player and could mean an ignominious end to what has been an exemplary disciplinary career.

Davies and Guscott, the panelists on the show, called for "firm action" by the discilpliary panel but I can't remember similar comments from panelists when serious assaults on Shaggy by a Llanelli player only earned the assailant a yellow card a few weeks ago.

On a broader point; that the hell happened to Munster?

No Flannery, O'Gara just isn't playing as well as he was a couple of year ago, the bull getting sent off, De Villiers taking time to settle in. Still only October, long way to go in the season

And in fairness, Leinster were very well disciplined and played very well,

It was silly by Hayes but there is no way he was trying to stamp on his head. He didn't even look down. He deserves a ban and the red card was a great call by the touch judge and ref (people get away with it too often) but it wasn't the worst thing I have seen on a rugby pitch. People are saying he could be out till after Christmas which would be very unfair. The assault on Horgan a few weeks ago mentioned above was far far worse and the disiplinary panel decided he didn't have a case to answer. That was a joke.

Leinster were excellent. Munster look very undercooked considering Europe starts next week. Still, I am not brave enough to write them off!

Yeah, I think its unfair to say that Hayes deliberately stamped on Healy's head. He definitely stamped though and, as such, thoroughly deserved the card and probably deserves to be given a ban that would see him miss two HC games. Hopefully his outstanding disciplinary record thus far will be taken into account.

As for what happened Munster? We were crap, no two ways about it. ROG was appalling, as was Fogarty. I've been a staunch supporter of ROG, the player, not the man, but he really needs to start performing pretty soon. He has been off his best for a while now and one suspects that Warwick didn't agree a new deal just to warm the bench for another season. My suspicion was that Warwick demanded HC game time, he would quite naturally have been accommodated at full back, Earls on the wing at the expense of Dowling. Now, however, with the arrival of De Villiers and ROG's lack of form combined with the emergence of Hurley on the wing, it seems to fall into place more easily. I still expect ROG to start against Northampton but unless he improves considerably, his HC game time could be limited this season (which would in reality be the end of his career) and Warwick will be our first choice out-half with Earls at his best position of full-back and Hurley and Dowling fighting for the wing.

I agree with all of that Baldyman. ROG hasn’t been good for about two and a half seasons. I think he needs to be dropped so that Munster can build some options there. He’s been a great servant of Munster and Irish rugby but he’s getting worse, not better.
Leinster were superb but that on its own doesn’t explain the bad lineout’s and the consistently slow ball out of both scrums and rucks. Even when O’Connell came on the line out was weak and once Hayes went off their shaky scrum collapsed completely.

It would be a brave and foolish man that wrote Munster off but they have a lot of questions to ask and answer.

I think Leinster were just more 'up for it'. Funnily enough, Munster returned 1200 tickets before the game and the players knew of that and were, quite rightly, surprised at that. Maybe that had a bearing, maybe not. Fogarty's darts were poor and his work in the tight was also poor. When your out-half and your hooker aren't performing, its hard to get any kind of a decent platform. I thought Leinster were superb in the tight, especially Jennings and Cullen. Cullen's punch into the ruck under the posts to free up the ball was wonderful, although how they didn't go over when the ball went wide to the left with numbers over is beyond me. Mushy Buckley was poor in the scrum also, a man of that size should not be turned as easily and as consistently as he was on saturday.

yeah, completely outgunned and outclassed the other night. Really exciting watching Leinster play, they played like champions. Made us look worse than ordinary.

didn't see the bull incident coming and he was rightly sidelined. He may miss the AI, mores the pity.

Horgan is making a statement of intent with regard to Irish place.

What a great game- was at it. Leinster support was very loud as it should be at a home game.
Was shocked at Hayes stamping incident as cannot even remember him ever getting a Yellow. I hope he is not banned too long because if Ireland have to rely on Tony BUckley we are F*cked!!!
ROG was awful again - his defence is getting worse he used to at least be a speed bump that slowed them down. He needs to be dropped and fight for his place- I rate Warwick highly currently and Sexton is ahead of him in every Dept currently and has to start in the AI's.
Leinsters defense was magnificent- Rocky who? Mclaughlin had a great game, BOD made Devilliers look like an average club player, Shaggy has regained some cracking form.
TOL was munsters best player, Leamy was ok when he was not trying to lamp players, Ronan was shown up for what he is too small to play at highest level.
I expect Munster to bounce back but Sat proved that the HEC semi was no fluke and looking forward to this friday
I also heard Chris de burgh is doing a duet with ROG for the new munster song
"Ladies in Red"

Oh crap, the floodgates have opened to the inevitable ****-takes.

Seriously though, I would expect Munster, Leinster, Toulouse and Clermont (should they take the HC seriously) to be in the mix come semis time. Munster were shocking, yes, but they do have the pedigree. If I had to put my money on an HC winner right now though, I would have to say Leinster.

Still delighted to be a Munster man this year, we get to go to the south of France AND to Italy. Sweet.

What can I say retribution is sweet after years of the Ladyboys tag - are you Connacht in disguise jibes from the Worlds greatest fans

A few of us will head to the Italy game, should be fun. France sounds good too.

It's too early in the season for my predictions, Munster nilled Leinster last season at the RDS and see how that ended. I must admit Leinster rugby is looking strong now, a lot of years of good development are starting to bear fruit. Long way to go yet, hope the Irish sides can be in Europe near the end.

What can I say retribution is sweet after years of the Ladyboys tag - are you Connacht in disguise jibes from the Worlds greatest fans

HEY! Connacht beat both these superpowers last year in Magners !! We're next for HC !

Bad stamp by Hayes - he definitely was not going for the face but one thing is for sure, Healy is a fine prop and the sooner he gets on Irish team the better.

I was talking to a Munster supporter yesterday about the match and he said that Leinster players and fans cannot ever be a passionate about their team because rugby in Munster was a working class game and it was a upper/middle class game in Leinster. When I asked him if that meant just because a person was from a well off background they could never be a passionate about a game as a person from a poor background he said yes.
I was raised to judge people based on what I found, not on where they were from or what accent they had (or what race or religion they were) so to me that’s the worst kind of BS inverted snobbery.

What do the Munster fans here think?

Not making any excuses as Leinster were awesome, but I can't say that we'd see this Munster performance under Kidney. There must be a management aspect to this, be it build-up, training, strategy, camp's morale etc.

.. Leinster players and fans cannot ever be a passionate about their team because rugby in Munster was a working class game and it was a upper/middle class game in Leinster.

My next-door neighbour's son is a Dublin born & bred & educated dentist, now resident in Limerick and a die-hard Munster supporter. So, at a Munster game he is working-class, but in other dimensions of his life he is middle-class ?

Another example of the type of self-serving nonsensical claim that sports supporters regularly make for themselves, not solely a Munster vice.