Joggers (rant)

Pique318

Is anyone on here a regular jogger ?

Can someone please tell me why they persist in jogging on the road ????

There they are in the evenings, on the tarmac, in the dark (generally wet) roads, which are not that well lit in some places (urban roads, btw) with a completely empty footpath beside them !!!!!

I sorely tempted to clip them with the mirror at time :eek:. Oncoming traffic preventing overtaking forces traffic behind the lemmings to a halt as they canter on, oblivious to (or uncaring of) the annoyance they cause to me and (presumably) other motorists, as well as the danger they pose to themselves.

No, they do not all wear bright reflective gear either, the morons !
Are they looking for a Darwin award ?

Is it only me that they annoy ?

Take a passenger with you and have them wing a few joggers with the door; that'll soon sort them out.

well if there's no footpath what can they do? But they should have bright clothes on so your ready to attack with your wing mirror :D

with a completely empty footpath beside them !!!!!
There is always a footpath there, they just choose not to use it, and choose the road instead.

It's not as if the tarmac on the road is any kinder to their joints than the tarmac on the footpath so why do it ??

Oh and the remark about clipping them with the mirror is a joke, just the devil on my shoulder wispering bad things into my ear :)

Or the total idiot who jogs in the grounds/footpaths and roadways of U.C.D. Belfield with his three dogs running loose beside him.

Not all footpaths have tarmac and as someone intimated tarmac is easier on the joints than concrete.

Running on residential footpaths is also a pain and it's difficult with driveway slopes/trees/walkers/cracks etc. I know it would be more painful getting a smack of a car.

I do it myself the odd time but I would only run towards traffic and jump back on the path if I see a car coming.

Ham Slicer,

I understand that residential areas may have obstacles and bad paths but this isn't a residential area, but a main arterial road in a regional town. I would have no problem with runners in residential areas, you generally expect more pedestrian dangers there anyway (kids, mums with buggies used as 'car stoppers' etc :) ) so you drive that bit slower.

They don't face oncoming traffic half the time either, and don't always wear reflective vests. It's madness, I tells ye...madness !!!

There is a tall, skinny, gangly guy who runs home each evening at rushhour through Milltown and Dundrum and seems to spend much of his time out on the road, outside of the parked cars, presumably to avoid pedestrians. This is my space as a cyclist, so I normally let a large roar just as I get close to him. He usually jumps about 2 foot into the air and waves his arms like a windmill on acid.

I confess that I'm actually looking forward to seeing him these days.

But the joggers in the cycle paths are another huge problem. Avoid eye contact while heading at speed straight for them is usually my favoured tactic.

There is a tall, skinny, gangly guy who runs home each evening at rushhour through Milltown and Dundrum and seems to spend much of his time out on the road, outside of the parked cars, presumably to avoid pedestrians. This is my space as a cyclist, so I normally let a large roar just as I get close to him. He usually jumps about 2 foot into the air and waves his arms like a windmill on acid.

But the joggers in the cycle paths are another huge problem. Avoid eye contact while heading at speed straight for them is usually my favoured tactic.

:D

When I get to Heaven you won't be there ;)

This is the 21st century - men also push buggies you know...

I haven't yet seen one push the buggy onto the road in front of moving traffic! I'm sure it happens, but I just haven't seen it.

It's always coming off a footpath and between parked cars too.
Anyone who does that should be given a good slap!!!

Corporal punishment for parents !

Getting back to the OP's comment - isn't it obvious why the joggers don't use the footpath and use the road instead?

Because the cyclists are using the footpath!:D (excluding RainyDay of course!)

Getting back to the OP's comment - isn't it obvious why the joggers don't use the footpath and use the road instead?

Because the cyclists are using the footpath!:D (excluding RainyDay of course!)

And why are the cyclists using the footpath?
Because the Mums & Dads with buggies are all over the cycle path and the car drivers leave just millimeters of space for cyclists on the inside.

Have to say that joggers who go out into the road should not be there - dicing with death. Would also say that many pedestrians don't look where they're going but certainly, joggers shouldn't be on the road or in the cycle lane - which is essential to help cyclists stay out of the way of cars as best they can.

Am both a jogger and cyclist and think each should stay as far as practicable in their respective designated areas, jumping over pedestrians rather than racing cars, to avoid catastrophic results.

btw, for the uneducated, according to colloquial wisdom, a jogger is someone who doesn't raise their pulse above 120 bpm. Joggers will probably either be running in football kit or designer gear. You'll also notice a lot of them wearing earphones - no self respecting runner would run with them on - if only for safety's sake. Us runners have our standards to maintain!

As a notorious runner, I stay on the road as much as possible - unless it is dangerous to do so. I choose roads where traffic is lighter and where there is plenty of road space - no time for plonkers who insist on running along main roads during rush hour. Where possible, I face oncoming traffic and wear plenty of hi-viz.

Why the road? Several reasons;
One of the prime ones - tarmac is softer than concrete - you mightn't notice but it is.
Footpaths are all up and down - murder on the joints.
Dogs crap all over the footpath - you tend to notice it less when running - ugh!
Joggers, jogging in pairs - and earphones - can't get them to move.
Vehicles with tails sticking out of driveways, blocking the path.
Vehicles parked with two and even four wheels on the footpath.
Cyclists in dark clothing and no lights, cycling on footpath.
Skips on footpaths
Builders materials on footpath
Bins, bags and other rubbish on footpath.
Big one - motorists who drive blindly out to the edge of the path, as if nobody could possibly be passing their gate.
People walking dogs, with 40 foot invisible leads - It's always your fault that you, the dog owner and Fido end up in knots!
Another big, big one! Dogs lying in ambush behind pillars:eek::mad: - Take that :D off your faces all you anti-runner ranters!!
............ so and the list goes on....

Why the road? Several reasons;
One of the prime ones - tarmac is softer than concrete - you mightn't notice but it is.
Footpaths are all up and down - murder on the joints.
Dogs crap all over the footpath - you tend to notice it less when running - ugh!
Joggers, jogging in pairs - and earphones - can't get them to move.
Vehicles with tails sticking out of driveways, blocking the path.
Vehicles parked with two and even four wheels on the footpath.
Cyclists in dark clothing and no lights, cycling on footpath.
Skips on footpaths
Builders materials on footpath
Bins, bags and other rubbish on footpath.
Big one - motorists who drive blindly out to the edge of the path, as if nobody could possibly be passing their gate.
People walking dogs, with 40 foot invisible leads - It's always your fault that you, the dog owner and Fido end up in knots!
Another big, big one! Dogs lying in ambush behind pillars:eek::mad: - Take that :D off your faces all you anti-runner ranters!!
............ so and the list goes on....

Why not the road?
Here's several reasons....
It's the road.
It's the road.
It's the road.
and the list goes on....

Why not the road?
Here's several reasons....
It's the road.
It's the road.
It's the road.
and the list goes on....

Actually that's a fact, not a reason...and it's only one....repeated....and I think we all...runners, joggers and anti-runners/joggers alike... realised, all on our own, that we're talking about the road.

...and your point is exactly.....?????:rolleyes:

Back