Jobseekers - self-employed

Deb___

My son recently lost his income and I’m helping him with his application for Jobseekers. He’s self-employed so they’ve asked for 2023 Profit & Loss accounts and Balance Sheet.

Everything is above board in terms of taxes paid and accounts kept but he doesn’t have an accountant. I help him keep pretty simple income/expenses and balance sheet accounts which we use to do his tax returns every November.

So we have the information Welfare needs but I’m worried that they’ll expect these accounts to have been done by a professional accountant. Does anyone know if our homemade accounts will suffice?

I'd do his return now for 2023 and get the Notice of Assessment or whatever it's called, they are more likely to accept that and will probably look for it anyway.

I'd do his return now for 2023 and get the Notice of Assessment or whatever it's called, they are more likely to accept that and will probably look for it anyway.
That’s all done and uploaded. They’re now looking for profit and loss accounts for 2023 and for January to present this year.