Jobseekers benefit has me taxed at 40%

Jalan95

Hi
I'm wondering if anyone can help me.
I work part time and due to covid 19 my hours were reduced further to 20hrs a week . I applied for casual job seekers allowance for the day I'm down at work. Yesterday I got my wages and I'm now being taxed at 40%

My tax certificate says that the social welfare predicted that I'm to receive 14,800€ a year annually off them as additional income and this has been deducted off my tax credits and leaves anything over 20,000 a year taxes at 40%
The figure of 14,800 is utterly inaccurate. At that rate id be getting 285€ a week to reflect that figure. The top rate is nowhere near that.

For the day I claim due to loss of earnings I receive 40€ a week so a week off them so about 2,080€ in total a year.

I contacted the social welfare and they told me this is a automated update and that it's done in batches and cannot be changed and to get a balancing statement at the end of the year and claim it back.
I cannot understand for the life of me how they can do this. My wages are low as it is and now I'm being taxed to the hills on it. I can't afford to pay my mortgage going this way paying the 40%. My annual income is less then 20k a year.
Does anyone know what my options are or what I could do next? It doesn't seem fair to me that I'm being punished this way for a figure they provided that was grossly inaccurate, they refuse to change it.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

I would suggest talk to the Revenue as this sounds more like a tax issue. Try this number for a starting point:
National PAYE Helpline01 738 3636

Back