Jimmy McGee on the Premiership

E

enoxy

One of my bugbears with RTE is why they still inflict Jimmy McGee on the viewers.

I watched the highlights of Blackburn v Chelsea tonight and it was ruined by the sound of that wheezy old pensioner barely able to speak audibly.

He is also a rubbish commentator.

Put him out to pasture asap please RTE!

Yeh, too many old people around. The churches are full of them. The hospitals too. The Dail and Senate as well. The Universities. I even saw some skulking around on the City Centre streets today. They even take seats on the trains, Dart and Luas. Enough is enough. What have old people ever done for Ireland? Apart from building the country, fathering and mothering children, working their socks off to rear and educate the youth, paying their taxes, imparting their knowledge and experience - what have any of them done for us?

I don't like Magee commentating. It has nothing to do with him being old or wheezy. It is because he can't identify the players. I have sat there in amazement as he waits for the close up of the player scoring to identify them. It ususally goes something like this.

"Crossed from the right winger and Yessss, there it is, the break-through, its been coming for a while ...(close up of player's number as he turns to celebrate)...and it's Alexander who gets it"

Is the non-identification of players caused by the fact that the RTÉ lads are commentating to TV pictures, so may not be able to identify them until the TV does a close up?

RTÉ commentary on the Premier League show sounds different to BBC's Match of the Day commentary - the BBC have their commentators at the grounds.

I often wondered about that. I imagine that the highlights are commented upon in a studio for the 10 minutes of highlights. Becuse the commentator knows in advance who has scored and assisted ,Then I think he would know this backwards. Usually they do a bit of "predicting"....like saying such a team are looking dangerous and hey presto a goal is scored...making the commentator look good.
Jimmy was a genuine sports fan, but is probably getting a bit too old for commenting live at this stage. He is a legend however and should retire gracefully.

If I can tell who scored from the comfort of my couch, he should be able to tell also. 90% of the time it's really not that hard. And he can pause and re-record if necessary so there are no excuses.

I always liked Jimmy on the Sunday Sports show. That was his best role IMO.

Jimmy lost any respect I had for him when he included Michelle Smith in his video of Ireland's greatest sporting achivements with the excuse 'she never tested positive'....

I watched the highlights of Blackburn v Chelsea tonight and it was ruined by the sound of that wheezy old pensioner barely able to speak audibly.

He is also a rubbish commentator.

He is a lot better than the guys on 3E covering the recent Liverpool matches, they could not even get the players rights....

Jimmy lost any respect I had for him when he included Michelle Smith in his video of Ireland's greatest sporting achivements with the excuse 'she never tested positive'....

What a silly old codger! Enoxy you were right after all lol!

Didn`t she test positive for whiskey?
Of course at the time everyone was very suspicious of her achievements, but no one wanted to burst the bubble of our shampoo girl because of the patriotic thing.
If she had any sense she should have gone clean after her win. The problem is there is only so much money in shampoo ads. Has she still got the medals?

What a silly old codger! Enoxy you were right after all lol!

Cheers smiley. I wasn't intending to denigrate pensioners as a group but I do feel that oul' Jimmy can't speak clearly, is past it and is a very poor commentator. Surely these deficiencies are critical problems for someone in his position.

Back