Jim Al-Khalili's documentary yesterday on "nothing"

Godfather

Had anyone of you watched Jim's documentary yesterday evening on BBC4?

Wasn't it incredible with Matter, Antimatter etc?

Wow! We're residues of matter and antimatter's collisions... Unbelievable! :eek:

Mind blowing, truly mind blowing... :cool: But I wouldn't mind having an anti-Godfather on another dimension doing the opposite as me... :D

Didn't see that, damn. I did watch Horizon's program a few weeks back on what is reality. It was great, but really strange. Fact is truly weirder than fiction. Most solid things actually consist of empty space hmmm.

I love his style. I have seen him on a few things and he explains things so well even a non-scientific mind like mine can get to grips with it all. Last night's was indeed mind blowing. ( it was a 2 part documentary but I think if you look around BBC or BBC HD they are still showing the first part.)

Brian Cox was saying pretty much the same thing on Wonders of the Universe but I just find his presentation style irritating. There's a Wonders spoof here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhn8j7S4uKU

**WARNING ABOVE SPOOF CONTAINS "ADULT" LANGUAGE**

As we can't use BBC player, is there another way of getting this program? Bye the bye, if you think outer reality is strange pick up Steven Pinker's "How the mind works." It is a bit too technical betimes, but it is fascinating too. I got it from the public library, I don't think I'd buy it.

Yes I agree Brian Cox' documentary was so similar to this one expecially on the photo of the universe at the beginning of the big bang (and they used lots of same images).

I wish they could make them on DVD and yes also the 1st part was fantastic although the matter and anti-matter stuff really positively shocked me to hell. ;) It's the scientific proof that there is a hereafter... An anti-this-reality somewhere else... :)

As we can't use BBC player, is there another way of getting this program? Bye the bye, if you think outer reality is strange pick up Steven Pinker's "How the mind works." It is a bit too technical betimes, but it is fascinating too. I got it from the public library, I don't think I'd buy it.

You can download a programe called ExPat Shield which is supposed to get round the IP thing but I have never tried it so can't testify to whether it works or not.

I think my son has that book - I could do with a good mind-boggling read!

It would be great if they would put these things on DVD but for some reason the BBC are quite selective about what they release.

Yes, observing something changes it... Did you see the movie 21 grams? So what if the soul is just a kind of temporary matter (with an antimatter somewhere else) that would end up in another dimension at death? The documentary seems to open a possibility on that... :)

Brian Cox was saying pretty much the same thing on Wonders of the Universe but I just find his presentation style irritating

I totally agree with you. I wish they could add a counter for all the times he says beautiful, fantastic, unbelievable, wonderful, etc...

They would find out that the number would move close to infinity... :eek:

Good links - thanks. I will watch them fully later. My son is doing HL Physics and is hoping to go on to study at College after his leaving cert this year, I like to ask him the most stupid questions just to hear him exasperatedly explain things in great detail ;)

I haven't watched 21 Grams in years so that might be something to fill my time this week.

Haha Godfather, I actually considered counting the amount of times he said "beautiful", you could probably turn it into a drinking game, one shot for Beautiful, 2 for Unbelievable (bonus for unbelievably) etc

Last edited:
I actually considered counting the amount of times he said "beautiful", you could probably turn it into a drinking game, one shot for Beautiful, 2 for Unbelievable (bonus for unbelievably) etc

Sorry but what about a "shooting game" with a little catapult for his students?

Sorry but what about a "shooting game" with a little catapult for his students?

Brilliant!

My son actually looked at applying to Manchester for his course but after reading some student forums decided against it as the numbers applying for Physics has shot through the roof even though Prof. Cox is seldom there, what with all that standing around on mountains, appearing on panel shows etc....

Wow! From the reviews in amazon.co.uk looks like this documentary (which is more than 30 years old) is an absolute classic! Thank you :)

Had anyone of you watched Jim's documentary yesterday evening on BBC4?

Wasn't it incredible with Matter, Antimatter etc?

Wow! We're residues of matter and antimatter's collisions... Unbelievable! :eek:

Mind blowing, truly mind blowing... :cool: But I wouldn't mind having an anti-Godfather on another dimension doing the opposite as me... :D

Says who?

Before I rant, let me say that I am no Holy Joe (quite the opposite in fact) and don't know the answer to anything, but I have always wondered why it is that people simply believe these guys theories?

Is there real evidence to back up half of the stuff they come out with?

I know these scientists always say that they can prove everything, and they are often atheists who laugh at the idea of others believing in an almighty God, but if you actually listen to some of the stuff they come out with, it sounds just as wacky as the 'God' idea.

My 2c worth.

Back