JFK or Newark airport

nad

Hi just wondering which of these airports JFK OR NEWARK would be most suitable for a stay in the manhattan 7th avenue area and and what might the taxi fare be, any hotel recommendations in this area would be welcome.

Newark is much easier to fly into if you're staying in Manhatten. It's right across the river and you can see the city from the airport. No idea what a cab/bus fare is as I usually get a relative to do the needful and pick me up....I stay with them also so dont use hotels in NYC, sorry can't help on that front.

I think there is a set flat rate of $45 from Newark to Manhatton.

Newark is handy to fly into. You can clear immigration in Dublin and once landed in Newark, collect you baggage and your set to go. Its about the same distance as JFK to Manhatton, but for 7th Ave would be better in my opinion

Hi just wondering which of these airports JFK OR NEWARK would be most suitable for a stay in the manhattan 7th avenue area and and what might the taxi fare be, any hotel recommendations in this area would be welcome.

This link should be oof some use re the travel from newark [broken link removed]

Also what kind of hotel are you looking for and what price range as there are hundreds in New York.

Thank's for the replies, and type of hotel would be mid price range and good location for shopping and sightseeing.

I stayed in the Helmsley in November and would recommend it. Its on 3rd Av. I used www.needahotel.com to book it and found it very reasonable.

(I've no connected to the above website)

Newark is a more pleasant airport experience than JFK PROVIDED you don't fly Continental to get there. CO fly narrow bodied planes from Dublin with one aisle and 3 seats on each side. Delta and Aer Lingus both fly aircraft with 2 aisles into JFK.

Less than an hour in the airport v 6 hour flight, I know where I want my comfort!

would disagree with the above. I flew CO to EWR recently and even though their plane was a single aisle I found it very comfortable. So what if their is two aisle, your seat is still the same.

The only downside to Newark is that it can be difficult to get a cab back out to it as NYC taxi's are reluctant to go as they cant pick a fare up on the way back in as it's in NJ.

I prefer the CO single-aisle planes because it means that you can't get stuck in those crummy middle section seats you get on wide bodied planes.

It also means that loading and unloading is faster since there aren't as many people onboard.

Finally, I understand that CO now have seatback entertainment on their planes (or at least the one my NY friends came over on in December) whereas EI and the rest are still operating with those little drop down tellies every 4 rows.

Newark is a nice airport from the point of view of getting around, eating, shopping, etc . . . I can't comment on connectivity to the city since I normally just pass through and get a connecting flight. I understand that their is a train from Newark to downtown, but I think there is also one from JFK as far as I know.

z

What diff does it make if there is only one aisle, your hardly going to be walking up and down the plane for the whole trip and besides contintental are a hell of a lot cheaper than aer lingus at the moment.

What diff does it make if there is only one aisle, your hardly going to be walking up and down the plane for the whole trip .

The downside of single aisle is there can be a lot of congestion especially when the cabin crew are doing meals, dutyfree etc.

There is an excellent train connection to Manhattan (Penn Station) so do not see why you would use a taxi instead. Think about half of the CO planes flying IRE-US have the seat back TV's. This is still being rolled out AFAIK.

The downside of a single aisle for me is the seating plan. I usually travel with my husband. On a wide bodied plane the configuration is usually 2-3-2 or 2-4-2, this means we can book 2 seats together at the side and have just us in our "row".

If we were to fly CO then there would always be a stranger either inside or outside us. Fine on a short flight but on a flight where you will almost certainly have to get up from your seat at some stage and that means you are either the disturber or the disturbee. Even worse if you're middle and window and the person in the aisle seat falls asleep!

I'm a fairly frequent flyer, with about 25 flights last year and I would never fly mid-long haul on a 3-3 configured plane. I'd even prefer the middle section of a wide bodied plane, not as bad given the aisles on either side.

I have to fly to NY at the end of March and again in mid May with 2 possible trips to Vegas during July and August, I have a couple of questions:
Firstly, is it always better to book early, ie is there a chance that prices may come down nearer the time?
Secondly, given that I've got a few trips to make, are there any sort of air miles, frequent flyer type deals that any of you would recommend or should this be a consideration at all.
Thanks in advance.