Jetta versus Vectra

jamesgm

I can get a new 2007 Jetta 1.6 Comfortline saloon for €24,500 (main dealer)
I was also offered a new 2007 Vectra 1.6 Club saloon for €24,500 (main dealer)

The vectra seems a bigger class of car (similar in size to the passat), however the jetta is a new design (2006 I think) compared to the vectra which is around a few years now. Some one also told me resale on the jetta would be better.

I like the jetta however the vectra appears better value for money - any advice - maybe bigger is not always better ?

Thanks.

Avoid the Vectra. 1.6 is sluggish in the exteme. Residuals are poor also.

No idea about the Jetta tbh. If it's simply a new twist on a Golf with a boot it'll be ok. Don't expect out of this world quality or reliabilty though. VW are above average but not outstanding.

here is something weird, the boot capicity in the Jetta is more than the Passat, so you'll have lots of storage space.

i think a volkswagen will hold its value longer than an opel. i would go for the jetta, we looked at it before deciding on the passat but still a good option.

The Jetta should hold its value remarkably better than a Vectra

stangely enough I had a bora and most garages didn't want it as a trade in, they basically offered very little so I wouldn't trade it ended up selling it privately but it took longer than I would have thought.

stangely enough I had a bora and most garages didn't want it as a trade in, they basically offered very little so I wouldn't trade it ended up selling it privately but it took longer than I would have thought.

That's because the Bora was pants and dealers knew it!

A neighbour bought a new Jetta nice looking car, I would have thought a bit smaller than the vectra.

VW will definitely hold its value better. Make sure you are comparing like with like though vw can be very mean with spec.

Is there a long waiting list for Jettas? Not because they are so in demand, but because they are built in Mexico and need to be shipped over to Europe?

Hi, I was expecting the title of this to be jetta vs passat! I have a Jetta 1.6 comfortline (company car) and I wouldnt buy it privately. Main reasons are passat v. similarly priced... Better 1.6FSI engine... Bigger car... less road noise (Jetta quite tiresome in this regard). Have to say though the Jetta handles brilliantly. I drive very windy roads each day and it sticks to the road. Stay well away from Vectra, v poor residuals, drab. Although it is bigger than Jetta if thats important.

Thanks all - thats the vectra dropped out of the equation then. I did pickup on the wind noise on the jetta when I test drove it and its the one think that is kinda putting me off buying it as wind noise is annoying on long journeys - apart from that its a real nice car and the spec on the comfortline is good (definitely would not go for the basic model - too bland)

Are you hung up on badges? Why not take a look at the Skoda Octavia, it shares the Jetta's Golf underpinnings.

The VW would hold its value much much better than the vectra. There are generally too many vectras sold as business cars or rental companies which tend to have a knock on effect to 2nd hand values.
Regarding the wind noise, there has been an issue of build quality with the newer VWs. Some cars seem badly built and some have few problems. So far I'm a lucky one however, just sit around the VW service area and you'll meet some unahppy VW owners for sure. Also check out the readers reviews in www.whatcar.com

Personally I've been hearing more and more recently about quality of new VW's. I think the days of unbreakable, ultra reliable VW's are over. They've let themselves slip somewhat. Overrated cars that are overpriced and underspeced!

There are other alternatives...but it depends what you are into. The VW badge is a lot to pay for when underneath you only get an average car.

The Vectra parts are often cheaper than VW ones, at least I found so when looking for my brother's 2005 Vectra. It is a little slow, but the fuel economy is quite good.