jeep VRT and insurance overseas

M

micksclly

Hi
I am Irish and drive will be driving a lot of the time on main land Europe over the next year or two due to work, I am going to buy a left hand drive 5 seated jeep in Holland or some where as it’s much safer to drive with the left hand drive in mainland Europe and pay the VRT (VRT is it €50 or 30% of the value)and have Irish plates, I will be using this jeep in Ireland, UK, but more and more of the time in Germany, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria due to work, I was wondering if there is any Irish insurance company or European main land company that will cover this jeep in these countries. Yes I know you will say buy a jeep in one of these countries, but I will be driving to the UK and Ireland many times over the year as well.

Firstly, its much more expensive to insure a left hand drive car in Ireland -where it will have to be insured. This is a pan european cover, but there may be specific restrictions on Bulgaria and Romania.
I drove a RHD jeep in europe a lot an with the extra height its not as unsafe as say a sports car. Its arkward at toll plazas and carparks.
My advice would be to buy second hand and then pay the VRT here-the OMSP of a LHD drive car would be(or should be less) than the same vehicle in RHD. I say this because if you were to sell a LHD in Ireland it would be sold at a discount to RHD-there is not much market for them. As SIMI provide the details to REV for OMSP it would be double standards to have them the same.

Back