Jargon alive and well

dewdrop

Just heard someone on radiotalking about decentralisation and the loss of "corporate memory". Why cant they use simple words like "experience". Maybe it is not trendy. The recession may put an end to this verbal garbage.

Just heard someone on radiotalking about decentralisation and the loss of "corporate memory". Why cant they use simple words like "experience". Maybe it is not trendy. The recession may put an end to this verbal garbage.

Experience refers to your ability and length of time at your job

Corporate memory refers to well like---when you work in job you have a list of people you have dealt with over the course of time, you know who is good and who is bad, you know who can give you good advice when necessary, who can make good decisions, who makes bad decisions, you know who is slow, fast.....etc etc.

They could say this instead of saying "corporate memory".

Of course if you can think of a better phrase to use be my guest

At least we all now know what a tracker mortgage is. That one always worried me.

Don't forget to throw in the "Only Living Expert", another who may be lost in the decentralisation shuffle!

Corporate memory is collective experience. But "collective experience" sounds as much like jargon as "corporate memory".

Friend of mine was let go a couple of weeks ago and they got the best letter ever. The HR manager must have swallowed a jarogn book. They contained gems like "paradigm shift", "pinch point", "proactive" and "process planning"...

The DELL guy rolled out to justify the transfer to Poland is a poster boy for meaningless jargon.

Re the Dell lad - there was sometime about the "people impacted" or some such term, they were going mental on the Eamon Keane lunchtime show on Newstalk.

Must have been duff job of the year to be given that task - so I wouldnt be too hard on him (I doubt it was he, personally, who pulled the plug !!).

No more than the dolt of a local politico who showed up at the factory gates on the fateful morning to spout his tuppenceworth of platitudes into the radio mic about "seeking the best possible solution going forward" and urge those "impacted" to "look at moving up the value chain".

Friend of mine was let go a couple of weeks ago and they got the best letter ever. The HR manager must have swallowed a jarogn book. They contained gems like "paradigm shift", "pinch point", "proactive" and "process planning"...

so they swallowed the "p" section of the book then

I am delighted to learn from todays Telegraph that Newcastle Council, England has banned jargon and issued a Plain Speaking Guide. In future a wheeled refuse container will revert to original name..bin.