January price drop on 2nd hand cars?, UK car auctions, & delivery to Ireland

Betsy Og

Will probably get a '13 Insignia from the North in January. Just wondering what is the practice re price drops, given that we're nearly in '15 can we take it a 131 is already considered a 2 year old car and priced accordingly, or might we expect the price to drop again in January?

On the car itself, I gather from Honest John that there was a makeover in mid-'13, however not a biggie for me as I tend to drive it for 4 years, then give to wife, who maybe gets another 4 years out of it, so its on or over the 10 year mark when we're looking to get rid, & at that stage if it has 4 wheels thats a bonus......

I've hear UK auctions are the cheapest way if you're willing to make a call & be flexible on what you want. Probably not for me as a) am no expert (though I suppose on a 2 yo car it shouldnt be that bad) & b) am kinda set on what I want. But, for comparison purposes even, what websites are good?, I did a google search but I seem to be getting classic car auctions.

Had a good experience importing from the North before, 6 years of trouble free driving, got an RAC engineer to give it a once over so deal effectively done before I went.

Not sure I'd bother buying from England, by the time you add on flight & ferry not sure it'd make up the saving - however, can you get one delivered on a truck into Dublin (or Rosslare)? I'm thinking if I find the car, do a contingent deal, get the RAC lad to check it, what more am I (as a non-expert) going to know from seeing it "in the flesh"?? - paying for delivery would (you'd expect) be cheaper than flying, driving & ferrying (and less hassle & time).

Anyone had a car delivered into Port?

A couple of friends of mine used http://www.carshop.co.uk/ (used to be called autoquake) and one had it delivered to Dublin rather than going to England to collect it. Both were happy with the service and the option of delivering to Dublin seemed like the better of the two as it can be tight enough going over to England in the morning and making a ferry back home again in the same day, not to mention the fact you have to take a day off work.

So far the selection & price seems to be as good in NI. But assuming something did come up in UK, was delivery to Dublin organised by Carshop?, from looking at their website I dont see that advertised. Just in case that delivery option would be open, wherever I sourced the car.

So far the selection & price seems to be as good in NI. But assuming something did come up in UK, was delivery to Dublin organised by Carshop?, from looking at their website I dont see that advertised. Just in case that delivery option would be open, wherever I sourced the car.

It was organised by the then autoquake Betsy but I just had a look at the FAQ (under Car Export) for carshop and it appears they don't deliver to Ireland so it looks like this is something they no longer do.

Going to go with London. Flight & ferry about Euro 200 in total so, even with fuel cost, theres a good saving vs buying from North (depending on where buying from in the North that might be even more awkward to get to). Revenues VRT rate seems to be consistently 1% above what it should be (i.e. they assume higher C02 than advertised - I gather what is says on the V5 cert will be accepted?). In terms of arguing OMSP (what Revenue charge VRT on), has anyone successfully challenged this? There is mention of an appeals system but wondering in practice if it works for anyone???, will 3 or 4 lower OMSPs from Carzone cut it??? - theres an entire Revenue document on their methodology so they seem fairly committed to it.

Will get the RAC check done, prob wont tell me anything but for the money (Stg99 or 175), its prob worth it, might save buying a lemon or a wasted trip. Euro could be stronger but cant win 'em all !!!

Back