Jamie Oliver on American food: US Dept. of Agriculture guidelines.

I find Jamie very, very condescending.

Yeah me too. He does that furrowed brow, pursed lips, serious nodding thing and it just looks false.

Which is a pity because he means well and is a force for good generally.

Come to think of it, an awful lot of TV chefs are very irritating. The only one I can think of that I can tolerate at all is Anthony Worral Thompson.

Ramsey needs slapping, Marco is a caricature & Gary Rhodes gives me the creeps.

I think Jamie is grand (trying to find non-bromance adjectives!). In the early days, when I didnt see much of him, it was all cheeky chappie bung a bit of this that and the other in and its wiki etc. etc.

Last year though I really enjoyed the US tour show, the good food for kids thing is worthwhile, his training of young kids in the restaurants (15) is also a positive initiative.

Ate at his restaurant in Cornwall, great food, loads of it, pretty good value. Cant say I've ever seen the condescending thing.

Hate all the Gordan Ramsey intimidation, same goes The Apprentice (though entertaining), Dragons Den.... all of which are based on the principle "Novice, without any guidance and under artificial pressure, makes hash of it on first attempt", well quelle surprise. All these ego based "successful businessmen" are turning people off entrepreneurship and giving very bad example to managment. As a book I'm reading so classicly said of the self-congratulatory books (grinning ego on the cover), they should all be entitled "If only you were me you'd be this successful".

On a Nigella note, yer wan Catherine who does the Italian cooking on RTE nearly inspired me to revive the "Fancy anyone a bit leftfield" thread !