Jamaica and tropical medicine

inspector

Hi all
I'm taking the mrs to Jamaica early in July,as were having a milestone anniversary. We'll stay at an all inclusive resort on the south coast.
I looked up info on the Tropical medical bureau and was really surprised at jabs etc that they recommend, i.e Typhoid, Tetanus, Hep A.... for both of us and including the consultation it all comes to over 400 euros... this seems like a lot of money,and I'm wondering are they all really necessary for what will be 10 days of relaxing on the beach, with perhaps one day trip to Negril?
Has any one traveled to Jamaica, with or without the jabs?
thanks!

Was in Barbados for a week and got all the jabs beforehand in a clinic in Inchicore. I think it only came to just over 100euro for them all..

Sister-in-law was in Dominican Republic earlier in the year & had to get them. Better safe than sorry. Also, when they tell you not to drink that night after them, if it's a Friday, take my humble advice on this and do not drink on the Saturday night either. Even my brother who goes out for a pint midweek and thinks he can handle his drink, can never remember being so sick. You also might feel as if you've been lifting heavy weights all day.

thanks guys,.....great info on that link thanks.
I contacted a friend who lives in Miami and travels with her job 2/3 times a year to Jamaica and other carribbean countries and she said she never gets any jabs and has never had any problems. I know I should err on the side of caution but the thoughts of handing out 400 smackers ''just in case'' is killing me. I'll think a bit more about it. thanks

I'm moved to Jamaica last November and got most of the jabs as a precaution. Just before Xmas there was a break out of malaria and although it was centered in the Spanish Town / Kingston area there was one case reported at Treasure Beach, which is the only real resort type area on the south coast, outside of Sandals Whitehouse.
Saying all that there has been no cases reported since early January and if you staying to the confines of the resort then you should be ok, just bring the mossie repellant!

thanks skippy,
we are staying at sandals whitehouse but do intend to do a day trip to negril, the mrs generally attracts the mossies...they seek her out and we will prob have excess baggage with all the repellant that she can carry...
According to the Tropical medical bureau there's no need for anti malaria meds if your not going to kingston. Dont you just think its crazy to have to pay 80 euros for a consultation when all the info is on the web site and are ALL the jabs really necessary?
Is there any place you can go and just get anti malaria meds? on the off chance that they (mossies) will seek her out?
thanks

I was able to get mine through the medical centre at my workplace as I am only out here on secondment so I got the full package. My partner did have to organise it herself and choose which ones she wanted to get so you may be able to get just the anti-malaria. I'll have to check whereabouts but it was in Limerick City somewhere, should be able to find it in Yellow Pages...
Enjoy Sandals, it's a wonderful looking resort (only ever passed the door) and the small town nearby, bluefields, is well laidback. Negril is famous for the 7 mile beach and Ricks on the cliff is the place to watch the sunset while you're there...

You will get your basic Hep A/Typhoid & Tetanus/Diptheria (I think that this would be sufficient for Jamaica) for not much more than €100 at your GP (including cost of visit). If your GP is any good he/she will be able to advise you on the jabs you require and any other useful information for healthy travel.

My GP is superb, each time I need boosters or I am travellling to somewhere totally different, I give her a call a couple of months beforehand and she does the research for me about that particular country.

Back