Jaguar XJ8 Reviews

R

r2d2

Hi All,

A pal of mine's Dad is buying a car to specifically do wedding hire...He's looked at the usual S and E class Mercs but is very keen on a '00 Jaguar XJ8. I work with a guy who had one (a 1997 model) and he doesn't have very good things to say about them although I reckon his one may have had a questionable history. I've looked at reviews on Parkers.co.uk and they seem to be good but if anyone who is in the trade who'd like to make a comment it would be most welcome.

Thanks,

r2d2

I wouldn't buy a '00 Jaguar XJ8 as a wedding car. It wouldn't make business sence. Not many women would pick that out of all the other cars you can hire to arrive to the church on the big day. I don't think it's a car many grooms men would pick either.

I arrived in an M5 and my wife in a 730 and some people thought that was different. That yoke would be out dated for a wedding car but not classic enough to be a wedding car.

If he wants a Jag for a wedding car but a MarkII, that would more in line.

These cars are in a class of there own and make a change from the run of the mill wedding cars, specifically the xj8 is one of the most comfortable cars on the road and for the driver, a pleasure to drive...big draw back is they are horrendus on fuel and for that reason only I would avoid the car for buisness.

these cars had a major engine issue . google nikasil + jaguar
they are a nice car though, although not quite special enough for weddings.
if hes set on one, an earlier xj6 might be a better buy.

His interest in the XJ8 is based on value for money (higher depreciator than the Merc) and something a little different to all the S class options available out there as well. He'd looked at some classic cars but was ultimately worried about reliability...Especially on the basis that it's somebody's big day !!...I'll take all points made and pass them on though and thanks so far for the responses !

r2d2

The XJ of that era was totally reliable. It came first in the Top Gear Reliability Survey (not a very reliable source I know, but still counts) one of the years. They have a smooth ride but the main problem is legroom in the back isn't great with the exception of the long wheel base model. The 3.5 litre V8 that was in '97-02 X308 models is a lovely refined unit too so I don't see why it shouldn't make a good wedding car.

i think id have to agree with mr2 they just are not special enough,for wedding cars ,they are pretty dated i had a99 one for a while was very reliable but my mates just kept taking the **** when i drove it ,calling me grant mitchell or arthuar daily so sold it for a 911 no more slaggin then

as for fuel reliability all wedding cars are traditionally big fuel guzzlers goes with the terrrotory.

Back