ive started jogging... advice please

Re: Jogging and Weight Loss

If your weight has been stable over the time you've been jogging, you should still probably notice that you're a bit trimmer. Jogging will tone and build muscles, and muscle is a little over twice as dense as fat. I can't comment on when you can start to see actual loss, but it should be reasonably soon, very probably before the next month is out.

Console yourself that even if it's not yet noticeable to you - maybe because the developing muscles are still slightly concealed - it really does work. And from talking to a good friend who's making the same complaints, I can tell you that even when you can't yet see the difference, it can be startlingly obvious to others!

Thanks! MsGinger.

Well done, making a start is the difficult bit.
In threads like this the common trend is to seek immediate results, heart monitors, enter races, etc etc. You have to walk before you run, so to speak!
The very first necessity is that you enjoy it, otherwise you will not continue. If you are sufficiently strong willed and determined you dont need to go near Gyms etc. Just walking and jogging.
Have a basic plan or schedule to train same time each day, be it before, during or after work, and do it hail, rain or snow.Starting off as you are, do not overdo it, ie train say 4 times a week max, twice during the week and then double up sat and sun.
The quantum is simply the amount that you can handle comfortably and which does not leave you over-tired next day - remember you will only continue if you enjoy it.
Build up to around 45mins with a combination of walking and jogging if possible on grass rather than roads. If on roads, run against the traffic for safety reasons. Only increase the time you spend actually jogging by 10% max per week to avoid injury.Drink water before and after, you dont need to carry it around with you at this level.
Forget about monitors or actual races for about a year!
Good luck

Have a basic plan or schedule to train same time each day, be it before, during or after work, and do it hail, rain or snow.

Thanks Runner. Some great advice there and it is much appreciated. If you saw me today at 4pm having run my two miler in the torrential rain looking like a complete and utter drowned rat, but a very happy one I might add (with very tired legs!!!!). While I am thoroughly enjoying what I am doing and getting tremendous encouragement from Mr. Happy (he is a seasoned runner who has done marathons and races regularly) I had felt I would have some physical results at this stage. Just wondering what kind of time-frame I will be looking at before I start to look like Kate Moss . Only joking of course (Liz Hurley will do).

As a marathon runner for the last 25 years and a recently qualified fitness instructor well done as mentioned in previous threads you have completed the most important decision and made the decision to start.I would agree with a lot of comments made by buddyboy. A visit to a GP is very important ,I get blood tests done annually to check iron count etc.
I think you should start with walking comfortably at first ,keep a diary start with 10.mins build up gradually to 15,20mins and then 30 mins 4times weekly or more.You can increase walk pace once you are comfortable with distance or time. I would then try jogging once you have a base fitness built up.The important thing is that we need to see progress to keep motivated that is why you should start with walking.
When you start jogging you should be able to hold conversation while running [running aerobically]I would also follow a light weights programme to target specific muscles as this will help with weight loss particularly if walking only. In order that you can keep a routine going it is important to do stretches after a short warm up.These stretches can be done for 8-10 seconds each.This will help greatly in preventing injury which will enable you to keep a programme going. Best of Luck

can i mention at this point that all exercise should be done in as clean an enviroment as possible.. there is no point running around a city with cars and trucks and breathing in fumes.. also i find the cycling the best..too old for jogging running now that i am over 32..

Holy God there is no hope for me then !!! if you feel 32 is too old for jogging. Mr. Happy is 41 and can still give the 20+ year olds a good run for their money. I feel it is never too late to start something new once in moderation. I am lucky that there is a massive park in the locality where i can jog. Also while cycling is great it is way too time consuming. Half hour jog and I'm done. Would take much longer to get same benefits from cycling. Also have two little "Happy Children" who are safely within my vision as I run laps of the park so it leaves it much easier for me to work my jogging into my family life. I couldn't work it as easily with cycling.

Agree with Happy Girl too old for jogging at 32, I am 49 turning 50 in Sept and can still clock 2 hours 50 mins for marathon.I completed Croagh Patrick hill run 4 weeks ago with the Irish Mountain Running Association managed to run to the top in 36 mins [ 6th.position ] and back down in 23 mins. A friend of mine who turned 50 last Feb. won the European Vets 5000 metres cross country some months back he can easily compete with any 20 year old. Admittedly he trains hard and has the gift of speed. Let not age be factor at all.

can i mention at this point that all exercise should be done in as clean an enviroment as possible.. there is no point running around a city with cars and trucks and breathing in fumes..

I remember reading some research years ago which showed that cyclists in central London had very few detectible signs of pollution in their blood.