I've had it with RTE streaming.

spreadsheet

For years i've been trying to avail of RTE's live webcasts of the news and it is beyond me how completely incompetent they are.

How long does it take to get a decent service?

What is the problem?? Is it the techies? Is it poor management? Is it mis-directed investment? Laziness?

Every other time I sit down to watch the news on my computer it's completely random whether it works or not. Without fail the advert for the latest movie or the RTE Guide will play perfectly, but then more often than not an error will appear or nothing at all !

When will the service enter this millennium? If it was the live TV broadcast which was this dodgy, I can only imagine the commotion and apologies to get it back online.

It's not my laptop's problem as I've tried many. Whenever I go Sky News or CBS etc, their live stream is always the height of perfection as it should be. (I've [broken link removed] on right now in the background - no probs)

What annoys me even more is that I pay for this service through my licence fee. And indirectly through adverts.

Really? Every time?

I'm on Irish Broadband and using Internet Explorer 6 (and 7 on different pc)

I have the same problem ... can watch the ads over and over again but not the programmes ... stops mid-way through the programme and has to start again with more bloody ads!

I've given up ...

Really? Every time?

I'm on Irish Broadband and using Internet Explorer 6 (and 7 on different pc)

I have the same problem ... can watch the ads over and over again but not the programmes ... stops mid-way through the programme and has to start again with more bloody ads!

I've given up ...
Same problem for me. Using Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 and, funnily enough, Irish Broadband.

Well at least i'm not alone! Thanks for the responses.
Hmmm, anyone else on Irish Broadband with the same problems?

For info, I have just watched about an hour of the Iraq Enquiry streamed through the RTE.ie/live without any problems (windows media version) but now i'm attempting to watch the Nuacht - same old jumpiness. Real player version is the usual disaster. I wonder are they getting a better stream from the foreign source then they are creating themselves?