I've been getting the occasional letter for someone who does not live at my address

truthseeker

I moved into a brand new apartment almost 2 years ago.

Since I moved in Ive been getting the occasional letter for someone who does not live at my address. Its the same name and the letters come from a number of different sources (credit union, handwritten address on plain envelope, gym). On some of the letters the original address is crossed out and my address written in (so clearly his old address think that my house is his new address) but on others mine is the only address.

Initially I used a big red pen to write 'NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS', and an arrow pointing to my address, and dropped them back in the postal system. i have received a couple of these back again.

Does anyone know what I can do about this? Should I return the letters to the addressees? (in some cases the addressee is clear from the envelope - not all), should I return them to the post office? Should I dump them?

Someone suggested to me that there could be something sinister afoot - could there be? Could someone be using my address for sinister purposes?

Any thoughts?

Re: Post for someone else to my address

Hi,

May well be nothing to worry about just a simple case of wrong address.

If I were in your shoes though I would be inclined to contact the credit union and check it out with them. Identity theft is on the increase so no harm to follow the enquiry through with the credit union. Their hands will probably be tied to a certain extent with the Data Protection legislation so they may only be able to give you certain information or assurances.

A friend has lived at his apartment for over three years. In the last few months, he's started getting a lot of post for someone else at the same address, although he is the only occupant.
The post is all from a bank and the name to whom it is addressed seems of eastern European origin. He doesn't know anyone from that part of the world. The addressee is not the former occupant either.
So far he's returned the post with Not Known At This Address but the letters from the bank keep coming. He's a tad suspicious of it too although presumably, if it is a genuine mistake, it takes a while for the automated mailing system to catch up

Re: Ive been getting the occasional letter for someone who does not live at my address.

We bought our house new and get post for other people from time to time. If you keep returning it (I put a line through our address) it eventually stops coming. So far nothing sinister has happened, though we did start to wonder at one stage.

A friend has lived at his apartment for over three years. In the last few months, he's started getting a lot of post for someone else at the same address, although he is the only occupant.
The post is all from a bank and the name to whom it is addressed seems of eastern European origin. He doesn't know anyone from that part of the world. The addressee is not the former occupant either.
So far he's returned the post with Not Known At This Address but the letters from the bank keep coming. He's a tad suspicious of it too although presumably, if it is a genuine mistake, it takes a while for the automated mailing system to catch up
Suggest that he put all of the letters into an A4 envelope and post them back to the return PO box given (for all banks) with a copy of a utility bill showing that you are the resident and a letter outlining his concerns.

Re: Ive been getting the occasional letter for someone who does not live at my address.

thanks for the replies - i was thinking of contacting the senders directly if it continues. next letter i get i shall do so.

thanks for the replies - i was thinking of contacting the senders directly if it continues. next letter i get i shall do so.
I would definitely do this.

Back