itunes - how to only download some of the catalogue?

Don_08

Got a smaller Ipod nano today - only holds about 1,000 songs. I have about 3,000 on my laptop for my old Ipod. Anyway toow can I trim down my catalogue so than when I plug in the Nano it only downloads the songs I want - without deleting all the songs on my laptop?

Put 1000 (or less) songs in a new playlist and select the options in iTunes to only sync that playlist.

With your iPod connected, in the iTunes, click on the iPod device and you'll get the menu with various options (content, etc). Under the settings tab you should have an option to manually control the iPod. Just tick that box.

That way you can deleted and add to the content that's there.

Another way is as said above, you can create a new playlist (call it iPod if you want) and drag and drop the songs you want into there. Leave the iPod settings to automatically sync and under the music tab you can select where it syncs from. By default it's set to the entire library, but you'll see a box so it syncs to an playlist.

Both have their pros and cons. The latter way means that as you think of a song you can just drop it into the playlist in the knowledge of the next time you connect it updates itself.

If you use the nano for video also though, I've always preferred to pick which movies or video I put on the ipod and you have to do the original manual setting to really have the best control.