Itunes can you use another computer?

cara mc k

A number of years ago I downloaded Itunes on my brothers computer and used this to download songs to my new IPod. His computer is really old and slow and also I have bought a computer, so any future downloads etc would be easier from my own computer. However someone told me that you have to stick with the original computer you started on.

surely this is not the case, can anyone advise, ps I am not the most tech person and using my own one would be much handier

thanks
Cara Mc K

You can have up to 5 computers registered and authorised to a single iTunes account. Launch iTunes and use the username and password you used for the old computer to log onto iTunes from the new computer and "Authorise this Computer".

This leaves you 3 computers. If you can logon the old computer to iTunes you can "De-authorise" the old computer; your allocation of computers goes back up to 4.

i pod query

I also had an old dell computer which completely crashed a few months ago. Bought a new mac. Have logged into i-tunes and authorised it. I deauthorised the dell. I have not done a sync with the i pod yet. i presume its safe to go ahead now ? Many thanks

Just make sure the preferences on the Mac are set to have iTunes behave as it did on the old Dell and you are ready to rock.

Sorry mathepac, how would i check that out ? Am not good on I-tunes, was only getting started with it on the old computer when it died. Bought some albums and they are on I pod now dont want to lose my purchases, if i can avoid it. Not worried re old cds as i can always put them on again. When i log into i tunes now it doesnt show anything in my library - hence i was afraid to sync in case it might wipe the ipod ??. Dont recall my preferences? do you mean account settings ? Apologies for my cluelessness...Many thanks

Sorry mathepac, how would i check that out ? Am not good on I-tunes, was only getting started with it on the old computer when it died. Bought some albums and they are on I pod now dont want to lose my purchases, if i can avoid it. Not worried re old cds as i can always put them on again. When i log into i tunes now it doesnt show anything in my library - hence i was afraid to sync in case it might wipe the ipod ??. Dont recall my preferences? do you mean account settings ? Apologies for my cluelessness...Many thanks

If the purchases were made from itunes, you can go to the itunes store on the new computer. Once logged in with your Apple ID, on the right hand side menu you should see a link for "Purchased". From there you will be able to redownload every track you purchased on iTunes.

Another option if you don't want to reload all the cds is to download software to "rip" the songs you currently have on your ipod. It's safe and there are plenty of free options available. You can just drop the songs from a saved location into iTunes once it's done. Much quicker than sitting there with all the cds.

Back