It's that old question again-- to wash or not to wash

Marcecie

Adv on radio again saying dont wash the turkey, I have always washed the turkey and find it difficult to just pop it in oven unwashed.
Wondering do many people not wash the turkey

I always wash it carefully i.e. by doing by best not to splash the germs around the place. Just a quick rinse mind - the cooking process would kill any harmful bacteria. I've been doing this for years and have never had any incident with it.

To make sure that it has been cleaned properly and that there are no blood clots left in the cavity?

To make sure that it has been cleaned properly and that there are no blood clots left in the cavity?

Yuk!:eek: I didn't think you were supposed to stuff the cavity any more? Nothing to do with the possibility of being arrested....salmonella?

What does it matter if there are when it is going to be cooked at a temperature that will render it safe to eat?

Wash away any blood clots because that's the way my wife wants it done.

I'd rather risk washing it than finding bits of blood clots/feathers etc on the 25th. I suppose with me its habit. I've never actually cooked xmas dinner but cook whole chicken and turkeys regularly and always give them a rinse and remove the 'yucky' bits manually. And before anyone makes the point that eating meat is 'yucky' in itself - I don't wanna hear it :p

Last edited:
THere is no need to wash turkey/chicken now as what the problem is any splashes may end up contaminating other food or work surfaces so will go with the advice from the "food safety ads" and not wash my turkey!

I'd rather risk washing it than finding bits of blood clots/feathers etc on the 25th.
They will have been sterilised or more likely incinerated in the cooking process so washing is at best pointless and at worst dangerous.

Back