It's Not Fixed after 5 times with mechanic !

Niallymac

To cut a long story short, I paid in excess of 1k to have the starter motor and fly wheel replaced on a 2000 Renault Scenic.

Two weeks later the car failed to start, I towed it back to the mechanic, fixed it, two weeks later same problem, then twice more since. The car is now with the mechanic for the fifth time, and each time my wife and 3 young macs ( all under 4) are left without transport for days on end.

I sense he was never that compfortable doing the job in the first place (apparently on a Renault Scenic Automatic, this was a remove the engine job) and am beginning to wonder just what damage he has done to the whole starter/auto transmission.

I am debating whether to cut and run, get the car collected by tow truck and brought to a main dealer to ge the whole thing sorted out. I'm down a load of dosh however, and can't really afford to pay the main dealer another fortune.

If I cut and run, what chance of taking the guy to the small claims court ?

RainyDay

If the mechanic set themself up as a service provider - they are setting themselves out as having the necessary skills to do the job - it shouldn't matter if they are a main dealer or not.

Marion

Marion said:
RainyDay

If the mechanic set themself up as a service provider - they are setting themselves out as having the necessary skills to do the job - it shouldn't matter if they are a main dealer or not.

Marion
Agreed in principle - but the practicalities of the situation mean that you may have different channels for addressing the problem with a main dealer, like SIMI, or involvement of distributor, or court action. If the back street guy has no assets, there is little point in any court action.

Hi RainyDay

Well, the original poster only mentioned the Small Claims' Court so I guess €1000 isn't beyond reach even for the "backstreet" guy.

Marion

My own experience with the Small Claims Court was that even after winning the case, it is extremely difficult to get your money if the other party is prepared to 'hardball'.

Hi RainyDay

I know that others have had the same problem as yourself in getting money from the retailer, but my personal experience with the Small Claims' Court was very satisfactory.

In fact, I was shocked to receive the money that I was owed within 5/6 days of contacting the Small Claims' Court. I had tried, unsucessfully, for about 2 months to make contact with the retailer who had "disappeared".

Marion

Marion said:
In fact I was shocked to receive the money that I was owed within 5/6 days of contacting the Small Claims' Court.
But from the retailer, not directly as a result of having contacted the Small Claims' Court?

Hi DrM

No, as a direct result of having contacted the Small Claims' Court. It cost me £5 at that time. The cheque was sent to me by the Small Claims' Court which is contactable via your local District Court.

Marion

Delighted to hear it worked out well for you. I'm not trying to deter others from using it. I'm just setting the expectation that winning the SCC case does not automatically mean you'll get the money into your hands.

Marion said:
Hi RainyDay

I know that others have had the same problem as yourself in getting money from the retailer, but my personal experience with the Small Claims' Court was very satisfactory.

In fact, I was shocked to receive the money that I was owed within 5/6 days of contacting the Small Claims' Court. I had tried, unsucessfully, for about 2 months to make contact with the retailer who had "disappeared".

Marion

I'm amazed. I had my application and fee returned to me in the case of "CCOVICH v. ID Design, T/A Wiltoncliff Ltd.", because the retailer in question had disappeared.

Slightly off topic - I'd be more inclined to trust the 'back street guy'. Having had my car 'serviced' at a main dealer and also at smaller garages. Maybe the smaller garages have to rely more on good service and repeat custom.

He's a back street guy. Tried to get it in with main dealer but they couldn't take it for 10 days. I asked if they could recomend anyone, and they gave me a name of an independent mechanic. Looks like bad advice !

I had my application and fee returned to me in the case of "CCOVICH v. ****.", because the retailer in question had disappeared.

Exact same thing happened me, the one and only time I used the SCC.

HI CCOVICH,

I was not expecting the outcome either - I was stunned by such a speedy recovery of my money £100 (which had been a deposit on a piece of furniture that was to be delivered).

Following numerous phone calls - some of which were answered initially by his wife or son - eventually the phone just rang out.

I went to the home/business premises to find that the Company name was removed from the wall and the gates were locked.

I returned home and realised that I would need an address for the retailer if I were to make a claim in the SCC. I rang the garda station in that small town. They suggested that I ring the PO. The lady in the PO said she couldn't tell me where they were now living - other than that it was a town in the same county. She assured me that any mail for the business would be forwarded to their new address. And the rest is history! This happened just about 8 years ago.

If I recall correctly, the cheque that I received was a personal one and not a business cheque from the retailer.

Anyway, Niallymac what did you decide to do? Sorry for hijacking your post.

Marion

Back