Italy

Killter

Hi folks,

Thinking of taking a few weeks to travel around Italy next summer. Has anybody any hints, tips or advice relating to Italy e.g. where to go, must sees, trains, food etc???

Anybody any experience of renting/riding motorbikes there?

Any replies greatly appreicated.

killter

Cinque Terre is beautiful but not suitabe for motorbikes or any cars for that matter as roads are so dangerous so best to use the trains that connect each village.
Tuscany also beautiful around the Chianti region.

Train network is excellent I would use it.
If you take in Milan, don't spend long there and have something specific planned to do as I didn't think much of the place as somewhere to see.
Avoid hotels around Termini in Rome and Roman 3-star is a little more like 2-star.
Definitely visit Florence, it is a beautiful city.

Killter,

I travelled italy this summer with the other half, we rented a car. Flew to rome stayed there for three days the underground network is all you will need for rome we only rented the car when we left. All the usual tourist spots in rome are great. From Rome we drove to sorrento, the road networks are fantastic be careful at the tolls though it caught us out at first! Around sorrento the driving is pretty scary tight roads speedy mopeds and unprotected cliff faces! In sorrento we went to pompeii mount vesvius and to capri bay a day trip by boat.
From sorrento we drove to florence stayed there for four days we went on a day drive to the leaning tower in Pisa this was probably my favourite attraction. We also went on a day drive to tuscany and the three chianti regions some great wine tasting tours along the way. When leaving florence we wnet to lake garda for five days relaxed for most of this got the train to Milan for a day its nice to see the place but not much there. Lake garda is beautiful, from the lake we went to venice for three days was very dissapointe with that we also gave the car back here as there are no roads!

If you are driving buy a sat nav! I did and it made the holiday!