Italy- with 2 kids

lz1

Looking at Italy (Tuscany I suppose but open to suggestions) for next May.
Kids are 1 and 3 years old so must be close to an airport tat allows a direct flight from Ireland.
Is it best to rent a villa or go package ?

Anyone who has done this with kids I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thankx

We went to Sorrento with our 18 month old this summer - Direct flight to Naples & 1 hour drive down to Sorrento. Only travel drawbacks were

- getting up a 2.30 am to make a 6.40 am depature time from Dublin
- rental car pick up at Naples airport - jam-packed shuttle bus in searing mid-day heat
- Italian drivers - scary stuff!

We really shouldn't have bothered with the rental car, as we hardly used it at all during the week. Sorrento is easily walkable and has great public transport links. If you're going to a rural setting, you'd definitely need a car.

A villa would be fairly expensive if there is just 3 or 4 of you. There is a wide variety of accomodation available, including self-catering apartments in villas. It wasn't cheap to find a nice apartment in Sorrento for the week we wanted, but we had a really great week. The Italians are great with kids and look after families well. Sorrento was a little bit too touristy for me, though that did ease any language issues (as they all speak English anyway). Rural Tuscany would be a bit more authentic, if that's what you're looking for.

Hi Iz1,

you wouldn't consider Lake Garda (or Como)? Excellent resorts for kids and good flights if you go to Milan? Have not been to Tuscany but it is on the list But found Lake Garda excellent and people I recommended it too raved about it.

Roy

Hi Iz1,

you wouldn't consider Lake Garda (or Como)? Excellent resorts for kids and good flights if you go to Milan? Have not been to Tuscany but it is on the list But found Lake Garda excellent and people I recommended it too raved about it.

Roy
I'm considering heading to Lake Garda with Mrs. Squonk and the two younger squonks. The kids are 3 and 4. We're fed up of going to Lanzarote, Majorca etc and want a little "class". Is Lake Garda suitable for the kids? Does it get too hot in the summer? - Thanks