Italy Holiday: Rome and then where

Wonderfish

Hello all

Myself and my wife are going to Italy in Mid august for 18 days, at the moment we have arranged a stay for the first 4 nights in Rome and plan to see the sights.

We have never been to Italy so are open to any suggestions on where to go, would like to travel around a bit and have read that the trains are great for this.

We were thinking of Cinq Terre area for a few days and then maybe down to the amalfi coast for the remainder before flying home from rome.

Bit worried that we havent booked anything other than accomodation in Rome so any suggestions on places to go/accomodation are really appreciated.

Thanks alot

A lot of things close in Rome in august so check this out before you go.
Florence, pisa, venice, all good places to go to.

+1 for Florence and Pisa. Indeed the whole Tuscan area is great. You could also visit Siena while you are there.
If it were me I'd go straight for Tuscany. Venice is nice but it will be hot, crowded and quite possibly smelly in August.

You could also do a day trip to Pompeii.

Most of Italy heads for the south, in the Month of August, so if you'd like the Amalfi coast (and it is beautiful), I'd book accomodation in advance!

As suggested, Pompeii, and when you're there, the Isle of Capri is not too far away...

If you've an interest in all things motoring - a day or two around Bologna for Ferrari etc would also be enjoyable!

But, be aware that Italian Cities close down for national holidays in August

I'd second Tuscany but if you want somwhere quiet and peaceful, try Lucca. It's on the main train route between the coast and Florence so you can easily get a train to Pisa, Via Reggio (if you fancy the beach) or into Florence for the day. It's a lovely old style walled Italian city

Bella Italia

+2 Florence and Amalfi coast especially Positano. Trip Advisor has some great suggestions for places to stay in Florence and is a great base for visiting the Chianti region, Pisa and Siena. Positano is a beautiful town and is also a good base for visiting Capri (a must!), Sorrento and Pompei. My advice for visiting galleries is to book in advance online even in Rome. You can book the tours of Sistine Chapel, Galleria Borghese, Ufizzi and Palazzo Pitti online and they are well worth it, if that's your thing. We found Rome and Florence very hot and the coolness of the galleries was welcome. Bring good shoes for walking as these places are best discovered on foot. Enjoy.

Palazzo Nicolini is less than 2 minutes walk to the Duomo in Florence and is a great little hotel. As a house it has been in the same family for about 500 years and although not cheap is well worth a visit.

Sorrento is beautiful - if small - but Positano, Pompeii, Capri & the Amalfi Coast. Another place which has a lovely feel to it (beachy) is Riccione - I'm so jealous I might add!

Thanks very much for all the replies, really is much appreciated

After researching some more we are having second thoughts about going to the amalfi coast due to the fact that its high season and likely to be very hot & crowded as it appears most italians head in that direction aswell in august (the excessive heat swung it really)

Instead we are thinking of spending the two weeks in Tuscany, staying in Florence for the first few days after leaving Rome and would really appreciate any suggestions for accomodation.

After Florence we are thinking of going to Cinque Terre for a few days, again any accomodation suggestions appreciated.

After that no other plans, have read some interesting reviews on the following and would welcome any comments on whether they are: 1) worth staying in for a few days 2) day trip only or 3) not worth it :

Sienna
Viareggio
Riccione

Feel free to suggest any other place that you think would be worth staying in or visting on day trip.

Thanks again

Hi Wonderfish. I don't know if you are familiar with trip advisor. I find it excellent for info when going to places for the 1st time. The forums are really good. You can read other peoples questions and ask some yourself. Enjoy

Glad you have settled on Tuscany. You will find the August heat much more bearable than further south. Rome will be VERY humid. Mid-August storms are usually a relief as it is less steamy after them. Definitely suggest just a few days there, see the obvious things (in the early morning if possible - due to heat you WILL need the siesta!) - St Peter's, Sistine Chapel, Colosseum, etc, and dine out in Trastevere. Remember 15th August is their big holiday.

Florence is magical - see the Duomo, Uffizi Palace, Ponte Vecchio, the leather market etc and watch the world go by in Piazza Signoria with Michelangelo's David right there beside you.

Siena is my favourite place. Be aware their famous festival, the Palio (bareback horse racing around the main square, Piazza del Campo, between riders representing the medieval Contrade, or wards of the town), takes place mid-August (14-16) and if you dont mind the crush, it is something to see.

Once you are in Siena you are not too far from the border with Umbria and could make a trip to Assissi, which manages to imbue the visitor with a sense of great peace despite the numbers of others doing the same.

Re your final question - it's years since i visited Viarreggio but i wouldnt waste your time. I recall it as a nondescript seaside resort of no particular charm. If you feel the need to see water, from Siena/Assissi/Perugia area you could go to Lake Trasimeno, on the Umbrian/Tuscan border - Italy's largest non-Alpine lake. Lots of charming unspoilt villages around the lake, and you can take boat trips to the unhabited islands to picnic.

From there any of the hill towns such as Orvieto, Todi, Gubbio, Spoleto are worth visiting.

Last edited:
Thanks Phoenicia for all the information

Florence does sound great as does Sienna

Would you have any recommendations for which of the Cinque Terre villages to visit/stay?

You don't mention whether you intend hiring a car or travelling by public transport. This would have a major bearing on the amount of travelling you could reasonably do within the time available. A lot would also depend on whether your priority is to have a reasonably relaxing holiday or to get as much in as possible.

Rome Termini is a huge train station with links to just about anywhere but you'd need to change for some destinations (e.g. Riccione) and the overall journey time can be high as a consequence.

The Amalfi Coast is beautiful but perhaps best in late Spring/early Summer so I think you're right to give it a miss.

A good itinery from Rome might be to get a train to the seaside town Viareggio (or nearby Lido di Camaiore which i think is prettier) and base yourself ther for a week or so. From there, you could go on a day trip to Portovenere by train and get the relatively inexpensive Cinque Terre ferry to the 5 towns (the best way to see them). You could also take in day trips to Lucca, Pisa and the pretty village of Pietrasanta in the nearby mountains.

From there you could base youself for a week of so somewhere in the Tuscan mountains and while there, take in Florence, Siena and Volterra.