Italian fly/drive holiday - anyone done similar?

RMCF

Thinking of flying into the Venice area for a few days and then perhaps hiring a car to drive about the area around there and on to the Lakes perhaps, then flying out of another airport.

Has anybody do this type of holiday in Italy, or have any advice on Italian holidays in general?

Would hiring the car in one place and dropping off in another be a problem?

There is no problem with hiring in one location and dropping off in another. Last year I hired in Bologna Airport and dropped off at Pisa Airport ( i hired thru Hertz)
I found dtriving in Italy fine, but the Motorways were a bit scary....those Italians do drive pretty fast and give little leeway. However on other roads there was no problem at all. I was in Southern Tuscany ...I am not well up on Veneto

I toured around Lake Garda and the Dolomites well worth a trip. I did the Dolomites on a Sunday and would advise against it as a lot of the shops/restaurants were closed.

Lots of people complain about the Italian drivers but I think if you survive the roads in Ireland then you can drive anywhere.

Last edited:
Definitely can hire a car in one place and drop off in another. We hired a car in Bologna and dropped it off in Rome.

Italy is a fantastic place to drive, with the Autostrade. It's a bit expensive in terms of tolls, but it is a thoroughly refreshing departure from Ireland, where the motorways last 20 or 30 kilometres at most. In Italy, you can go from Bologna to Florence to Rome to the Amalfi Coast (as we did) on the Autostrade at much faster speeds than comparable distances in Ireland.

Drivers in Italy for the most part are fine. Simply move out of the fast lane when a car is right behind you (usually flashing its lights madly), and it's no problem, at least when you are on the Autostrade. If you are on a two lane road, simply find a place to pull off to let the other cars pass (I had to do this last weekend in Co Mayo to let cars that were right on top of me go by...tailgaters are the same all over the world!)